Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung S10+ updates to Android 11

Shelly64
Level 1: Joiner
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have the above phone on contract which my partner uses. He is a bit of a geek & is eagerly awaiting the update to Android 11 any idea when he will get it??
Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@Shelly64 wrote:
I have the above phone on contract which my partner uses. He is a bit of a geek & is eagerly awaiting the update to Android 11 any idea when he will get it??

Hi @Shelly64 

Right now these Android 11 / OneUI 3.0 updates are mostly in Samsung's hands - we don't have a lot of influence or control. With software updates like this, it can take time for Samsung to roll it out to different markets, countries and even the network operators in that country.

When you get an update on your O2 phone, those updates aren't actually coming from O2 - they still come from Samsung, but it's a slightly tweaked and approved version by O2. That said, whenever we do receive those updates for testing, it usually takes around a week or so for us to fully test it and ensure:

1) There's no user experience issues (eg, crashes, phone functionality issues etc)
2) All network related tasts work as expected and aren't causing any issues (eg, does wifi calling still work, do texts send/receive ok, network tests etc)

Once we're happy our testing is completed and no issues are found, we'll return our approvals to Samsung who may then sit on it for a while longer before then releasing it to customers - things that could delay that might be:
- Samsung are waiting on other networks in that country doing their tests
- We/Samsung have discovered an issue with our version that needs fixed
- We/Samsung/Other network has discovered an issue that could impact all/any customers on any network
- Something else - resourcing at Samsung? They have a new version for us to test? Something else?

Short version: We don't have any timescales we can provide at present. We test updates as soon as they're sent to us from the vendor and we aim to send our approvals (or fix requests) back to them within a week or so. At that point, it's back in the hands of the vendors and can take days/weeks for this then to become available to customers.

Best thing to do is ensure automatic updates are turned on and you'll then get the update as soon as it becomes available.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Shelly64 

Already rolled out in Switzerland so this guide should help....

https://9to5google.com/2021/01/06/samsung-galaxy-s10-android-11-update-rollout/ 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Shelly64 

@Chris_K is best placed for O2 updates.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 4

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@Shelly64 wrote:

Hi @Shelly64 

Right now these Android 11 / OneUI 3.0 updates are mostly in Samsung's hands - we don't have a lot of influence or control. With software updates like this, it can take time for Samsung to roll it out to different markets, countries and even the network operators in that country.

When you get an update on your O2 phone, those updates aren't actually coming from O2 - they still come from Samsung, but it's a slightly tweaked and approved version by O2. That said, whenever we do receive those updates for testing, it usually takes around a week or so for us to fully test it and ensure:

1) There's no user experience issues (eg, crashes, phone functionality issues etc)
2) All network related tasts work as expected and aren't causing any issues (eg, does wifi calling still work, do texts send/receive ok, network tests etc)

Once we're happy our testing is completed and no issues are found, we'll return our approvals to Samsung who may then sit on it for a while longer before then releasing it to customers - things that could delay that might be:
- Samsung are waiting on other networks in that country doing their tests
- We/Samsung have discovered an issue with our version that needs fixed
- We/Samsung/Other network has discovered an issue that could impact all/any customers on any network
- Something else - resourcing at Samsung? They have a new version for us to test? Something else?

Short version: We don't have any timescales we can provide at present. We test updates as soon as they're sent to us from the vendor and we aim to send our approvals (or fix requests) back to them within a week or so. At that point, it's back in the hands of the vendors and can take days/weeks for this then to become available to customers.

Best thing to do is ensure automatic updates are turned on and you'll then get the update as soon as it becomes available.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 4 of 4