cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung J5 2016 phone not sending emails from my default account?

Anonymous
Not applicable

The new 'phone I have, a Samsung Galaxy J5 2016, is failing to send emails from my default account, which is with PlusNet. I can send emails from a gmail and an icloud account and they can be received on my plusnet default account. I have checked and double checked and checked again that the settings are correct and they are. They are exactly as Plusnet are saying in their setting details.

Anyone any ideas of what the problem might be? On my laptop and iMAC I can send emails from the default Plusnet account, so it would seem to be some quirk within the mobile setup, but am at a loss to discover what it could be!

Cheers

altv

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144376 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

MI5

No idea what that means! I have an account with O2 on a pay monthly contract and one with Plusnet who supply broadband and land line details. So what you mean by O2 Data or Plusnet wifi is a wee bit beyond me. Does it mean there are some other settings on the Samsung that need to be setup?

Cheers

alyv

I mean are you on wifi trying to set up the email or on 4g ?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

It must be on wifi. I have no idea what the 4g means and since the phone has hardly been used for phone calls i have not set anything to be on 4G. maybe that is why when out, I have difficulty get the internet because I am away from my connection!

Cheers

altv

Message 12 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

I shall be away from the computer for a while now, I am going to watch Mother Theresa et al on TV!!

Cheers

Thanks for your help.

altv

Message 13 of 28

MI5
  • 144376 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
Yes, you will need your mobile data connection on when away from home.
As you are using your wifi there shouldn't be a need for smtp authentication so try without that ticked.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 14 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

MI5

I have checked everything again, and tried the various combinations you have suggested above, but still I cannot send emails from the default account. Maybe I should remove the default account, switch the device off, leave for a few minutes then switch back on and add the default account again. Whether there is any advantage in that I am not sure, but perhaps is worth a try!

It is interesting that if I send from a gmail account and an icloud account, both emails are received in my default account. They other way round I get the Failed message.

Cheers

altv

Message 15 of 28

MI5
  • 144376 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
It shouldn't make any difference but you can try deleting it and starting over.
The easiest way though I think is to add the email account to your gmail so they come through that route as you might have a problem with the email app you're using for plusnet.

Currently using:
Message 16 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

MI5

I have tried to get the system set via the take over experts, Google, and am now in a position where it insists on using an email address, gmail, that was set up ages ago because they stopped me from getting in to an original gmail account. I couldn't sign in to it. So I set up another gmail account, which was used maybe one or two times to get the system up and running again. Then, lo and behold, the original email address became avaiable to me again.

Today, to get things cleared and to get the debris away from the 'phone, I went through the exercise of deleting the 2nd gmail account. This it appeared to do, but it still calls it up on the phone when I try to answer a message using my default account via the gmail system. It really does beggar belief. I am worse now than I was before I set the Plusnet default account up via gmail. When I reply or try to, it says the reply address is a gmail address, when the reply address should have been the original Plusnet address.

I think I shall stop using the 'phone for an email recipient, since on the present method, it is useless, and will use the tablet or the iMAC. So much for the marvels of modern technology. It has lost all sense of logic!!

Cheers

Again, thanks for your assistance in trying to sort the problem out.

altv

Message 17 of 28

MI5
  • 144376 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
If you go into settings >accounts you can set plusnet as the default account for sending.

Currently using:
Message 18 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

MI5

It's set as that in the gmail pocket. Also in the Email app which was on the device when I bought it. But when I reply to an email received via gmail, the old gmail address, which has been removed from gmail accounts, still comes up as the "reply from address". But it doesn't exist!! How can I get in to the bowels of the 'phone and remove that address because there is no way that it can be removed from any of the normal settings, and since the email address has been deleted, how can it send from it? It really does not make sense!

Cheers

altv

Message 19 of 28

MI5
  • 144376 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
I think you'll have to log into your google account settings to remove it.
Might be easier to do on your Mac.

Currently using:
Message 20 of 28