cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung J5 2016 phone not sending emails from my default account?

Anonymous
Not applicable

The new 'phone I have, a Samsung Galaxy J5 2016, is failing to send emails from my default account, which is with PlusNet. I can send emails from a gmail and an icloud account and they can be received on my plusnet default account. I have checked and double checked and checked again that the settings are correct and they are. They are exactly as Plusnet are saying in their setting details.

Anyone any ideas of what the problem might be? On my laptop and iMAC I can send emails from the default Plusnet account, so it would seem to be some quirk within the mobile setup, but am at a loss to discover what it could be!

Cheers

altv

Message 1 of 28
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

MI5

Have just stripped all the accounts out of the Samsung Email app and the gmail app and reset the accounts in the Samsung email app. (I have done nothing with the gmail app, so that is naked.) I don't think I should say this but have just sent a message from the Plusnet default address to the gmail address and it worked. Equally so in replying to that message, the proper gmail address was there. We shall see.

Cheers

altv

View solution in original post

Message 25 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
What outgoing settings are you using?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

The settings I am using for the servers are imap.plus.net, Security type, None. Port 143. Outgoing server relay.plus.net, security, None. Port 587Authentication required checked. I am using the username I set the original account with and the password. Maybe I should use the e mail address as the user name? (That isn't the case with the settings on the iMAC.)

Cheers

altv

Message 3 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just tried using the email address and it doesn't work, it fails it server test!

altv 

Message 4 of 28

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Try port 25 and tick yes to use smtp auth.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

MI5

Have done that still no luck!

altv

Message 6 of 28

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
What are you using for your data connection?
O2 data or plusnet wifi?

Currently using:
Message 7 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

MI5

Incidentally, when finishing the adjustments to the settings, the check for the servers comes back OK.

altv

Message 8 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

MI5

No idea what that means! I have an account with O2 on a pay monthly contract and one with Plusnet who supply broadband and land line details. So what you mean by O2 Data or Plusnet wifi is a wee bit beyond me. Does it mean there are some other settings on the Samsung that need to be setup?

Cheers

alyv

Message 9 of 28

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

MI5

Incidentally, when finishing the adjustments to the settings, the check for the servers comes back OK.

altv

It should work ok if it's passing that test.

Which mail client are you using?

Might be best to add the plusnet account to your gmail.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 28