Samsung Galaxy SIII - Jelly Bean update

Abs
O2 Social Media Team
O2 Social Media Team
  • 1014 Posts
  • 107 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

Update 22/10, 8:00:

Samsung has confirmed the Jelly Bean update is now available.

Update 20/10:

As you might have noticed, this hasn't gone live yet. We were expecting it to on Friday and are working with Samsung to figure out what went wrong and will update ASAP. 

Original message:

Hey Guys,

Good news! The wait time is almost over for Samsung Galaxy SIII users. From tomorrow, 19th October '12, you'll be be able to upgrade to the much awaited 4.1 Jelly Bean update over Wi-Fi or via Kies.

If you have activated the 'auto-update' feature from out of box, you will be prompted to download the 4.1 Jelly Bean update.

JB

Message 1 of 700
699 REPLIES 699

Anonymous
Not applicable

can you only download via Kies or OTA or are you meant to be able to do both? when people first tried downloading jelly bean and begun getting the message about being in a queue, how long did you have to wait till you were able to download it?

Message 651 of 700

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Depends how many are in the queue. You can use either Kies or download it OTA but you only need to do it once.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 652 of 700

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
hello people,just got the new "jellybean" update here,well nothing special if u ask me,a few new icons a couple of new options and that's about it really.A whole load of fuss over nothing.Can't see any difference in the fact it's supposed to b "smoother",maybe a few more restarts would do the trick? Remote controls still doesn't work either,the slider is greyed out,thought the much awaited update would resolve this.Never mind though phone still works.All this hype over not much really.So there you go,is jelly bean all that!?

Agreed. Not noticing any improvement in how the phone 'runs'. If anything, it's slower. Also, regarding that list of 'what's new in JB', it mentions changes in the gallery and the camera. I'm not noticing anything different about these. If I went back to ICS tomorrow, it really wouldn't make any difference. The one difference I can see is in Google Now, but that's not something I would use very often or at all. Smiley Very Happy

Message 653 of 700

Anonymous
Not applicable
I cant see.this google now thing at all
Message 654 of 700

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

My pc took an age to even download and install kies last night. So I doubt I'll ever get jelly bean slight_frown

Who is your internet at home with, and what fault finding have you tried?

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 655 of 700

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My pc took an age to even download and install kies last night. So I doubt I'll ever get jelly bean slight_frown

I had the same trouble with it (and there is nothing wrong with my broadband!). Then when I tried to use it, it is really really slow. This was a couple of months ago. It's uninstalled now, when I realised that you don't need it to move stuff between phone and pc. Actually, if there is anyone one here who uses it, maybe they could let me know what they use it to do? Though that may have already been covered in another thread??

Message 656 of 700

macblank
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 520 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 23 Solutions
I used to use it and got fed up with it. Now I just use explorer to drag n drop.

Because how crap it is. I did the update OTA
Old Phone Geek!!! A Mobile User Since 1993
Samsung Galaxy S3

Feel Free to Add Kudos, If I Have Helped slight_smile
Message 657 of 700

Anonymous
Not applicable
I use it to back up my contacts
Message 658 of 700

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any news on when unbranded version will get the update please?

Message 659 of 700

Anonymous
Not applicable
Most reports on internet say early November. According to Samsung they don't have any updates planned for the sgs3 lmfao. Sent them an email yesterday and got answer today saying that
Message 660 of 700