Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Android

Level 1: Joiner

Samsung Galaxy SII, Issues with after the update

[ Edited ]
Hi, im wondering if anyone can help me as the o2 Guru give me the same reason but nothing changes,. I have a Samsung Galaxy SII and ever since the update to ICS i have had problems with sound not working, app home resets every week even if i edit it, Turns it self off every few days,. Freezes, wont send and recieve texts,. and it comes up with different services messages like "MAPSamsungservice" and other things like that,. What i have tried:- *I have Tried a new sim card as i was told that was the problem *A cold Reboot *Factory Rest my phone *No Update on kies (edit) *I have also had my phone flashed complete and the ICS reinstalled Is there any reason why it would be happening or if it actually the phone it self and need to get a new one?? Please help me as it is really annoying and frustrating me Thanks
Topics: 130
Kudos: 236
Blog Posts: 1
Solutions: 42

Re: Samsung Galaxy SII, Issues with after the update

You could try a factory reset, Make sure you have all the relevant information such as contacts, sms messages etc. backed-up. Go to your settings > Back up and reset Next shut down the phone and restart the phone pressing Vol Up + Home Key and the power button at the same time. Go into menus and clear both the data and cache data. Once this done, choose to restart the telephone. Set your Google account up and at a more opportune moment recharge your S 2 with the adapter and turned off. To me it sounds like there is some left-over settings from the last Android firmware. I hope this helps.
Leave your candy-colored cans in the toy chest and try a pair of proper headphones.

I noticed the Factory reset thing after I re-read it, although you should also try clearing data and user cache. Unfortunately unless the S 2 was using root permissions you can't clear the Dalvik Cache which would more than likely fix a lot of outstanding problems.
Leave your candy-colored cans in the toy chest and try a pair of proper headphones.

Yeah i have tried that as ive just edited i have also had my phone flashed as well and it still happens cheers though

[ Edited ]
It does sound like the update has completely screwed up SGS2. Was it the full update or an incremental update. Kies is supposed to clear the cache and re-optimise the applications after updating. Although it all depends on the firmware before you updated to the later one. If it was an O2 custom ROM then it should be covered under warranty and they should be able do a complete factory reset. Failing that you can always look into other options. Although I just had a thought, if you could get it back to Gingerbread and do a full system reset then, it should resolve a lot of things.

It was the full update i believe as it is now 4.0.3, well the update was through kies so would that be an 02 custom Rom i take it? what would be the best way to get it resolved under warranty??,.so is having it flashed and then completly re-installed different to to complete factory reset,. i dont know how i would reset it to gingerbread as even when i reset and clear the whole phone using the (home+down+power) method it will still reboot with ICS would i be best to talk to custombersupport/guru and get it sorted under warranty and either they fix or have a new SG2 ???
Topics: 561
Solutions: 14,438

Just to be clear on what you have done.
1 - Boot into recovery mode. Vol UP + Home + Power
2 - Vol down key and select "Clear Cache", hit power key
3 - Vol down key and select "factory reset", hit power key then vol down to "Yes", hit power key.
Phone should reboot after a few minutes and will ask you to re enter your gmail address and you will have to set up your phone again.
This indicates a sucessful factory reset and should be sufficient to resolve your problems. However, I know of one other reported S2 that had to have the ICS reflashed because of some file corruption. This will have to be done via Odin which you can do yourself if you are tech savvy, but if not take it back to O2 and invoke the warranty.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone 8+ (EE)

Yea i have completed all 3 of those steps and still have the same problem,..I have already had my S2 flashed by o2 about 4-6 weeks ago it make the phone work perfectly and why i love the phone for about 2 weeks and then all the problems start to come back again slowly and surely they are all back and I'm back to square one
Topics: 561
Solutions: 14,438

Maybe you are re installing the same apps as before and one of them is making the phone go bad? If it works OK after a reset it must be something you are putting on the phone which is affecting it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone 8+ (EE)

there is only like 5 apps that i download and thats it pretty much, i will try again and not dowload any of them and see if i get the same result thanks