cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S4 EXCESSIVE Battery Drain

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi. I have recently updated one of my Samsung Galaxy S4 handsets to 4.4.2.

Since the update battery drain has been excessive. In an "unused" state it will lose 12% between midnight and 7 am compared to my Note 3 that uses just 1%.

I hear it is becoming a common thread across forums, any ideas folks please?
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146903 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28262 Solutions
What is using the most power?
Have you tried it in airplane mode overnight?
If it's the Google services bug sometimes uninstalling updates and letting the app update itself helps but if not helping it may not get any better until 4.4.3 or 4.4.4 is released.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Rich

Screen is the main user overall of battery power (not overnight of course, will measure that tonight).

Typically screen uses around 50% followed by Android Services at around 15% and F Book at around 10%.

I would say FBook is extremely RAM heavy at between 50 and 200mb at any given time.
Message 3 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

A last resort is to try a hard reset after backing up your data.

This is sometimes recommended after a firmware update as your aware.
Message 4 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous I too have the 4.4.2  update but I can't say I have noticed any appreciable change in battery use compared with that prior to the update.

Just for clarification, and so that I can try mine in the same state, what precisely do you mean by "unused state"?   If that is something I ought to know please just remind me.

Gerry

(Currently in a state of icon-fullness)

Message 5 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi BoB

Thank you. As there is about 25gb of stuff on it, time for a back up exercise lol then will give a reset ago. Might try a factory data reset first before a hard reset.
Message 6 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
Evening Gerry.

My reference to unused state basically means I charged to 100% by midnight then put the phone on the side and didn't touch it again until 7am. Nothing more tech than that lol
Message 7 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous

Far be it for me to teach you how to 'suck eggs', but I'd thought I'd mention it anyway. wink
Message 8 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not at all BoB. Your help and support is always appreciated. Thank you ☺
Message 9 of 30

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146903 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28262 Solutions
Check it first thing in the morning to see what has used the most battery overnight.
I'll guess at either Google play services and or Android system.
If google services, uninstall the updates and cross your fingers.
If android system, do a factory reset (back up first) and cross your fingers...
However, you should also check it tomorrow night with airplane mode on and compare the drain. If the same or very similar it is down to firmware and not much you can do (apart from root and remove loads of bloatware) if significantly less drain in airplane mode it's an app (system or user) that is keeping phone awake.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 10 of 30