cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S2 - switches off at random

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there, I received my first Samsung Galaxy S2 from O2 in November 2012. At first all was great, then problems began - the phone switched itself off at random. The 'power on' button was as useless as a chocolate teapot. The only way was to remove the battery, reseat and then it automatically reboots. In December 2012, O2 took it back to repair...few days later back it came, apparently the phone needed software update...hmm...I'd checked for software updates through the phone (settings, phone etc) before I'd sent it back to O2 and no updates were available.

To cut a very long and boring story short, I've had a further 2 phones from O2 (Galaxy S2) and they've all had the same problem. In desperation, I've replaced the SD card, had a new sim, have only one app installed (facebook) and still I get the problem. The 3rd phone arrived on 21/1/2013 and has shut itself down 7 times since. Each time, I have to remove the battery etc. I'm exasperated. Worst of all, O2 simply say, we can offer you a replacement phone (what the hell for when they all seem to have the same problem). My hubbie and daughter both have the same phones but they do not have this issue. One is a vodaphone, the other O2 Business. I've been offered a different smartphone, but if I'd wanted an HTC or Sony Xperia that's what I would have chosen on upgrade. What I want is a WORKING Samsung Galaxy S2. No-one at O2 seems to want to find out what is causing this problem. I do not believe that I am the only one with this issue. Can anyone out there help?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had the same issue with my S2 so you are not alone. 

I also had the O2 repair which was sent back as software updated but it was still happening. I got a new S2 sent out and installed some the apps I had on there previously but did one at a time. I found that Facebook was causing the issue on both phones. Since removing Facebook I have not had the issue once. 

Facebook app has just been updated so I have not tried the latest version. 

Message 2 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
What software version are you on now?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
I assume the phone is O2 branded? ie O2 splash screen when you power on?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi, yeah sure is.

Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
There is a newer version that is available for unlocked phones but would require you obtaining an unlock code from O2 and flashing the firmware yourself manually. This would then free you from any effect the O2 firmware is having on your phone. My S2 has been no problem at all in nearly 2 years so I can only assume there is an issue with O2 firmware and facebook??

Currently using:
Message 7 of 7