cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S2 keeps switching off and apps crash...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Has anyone had this problem with Samsung Galaxy S2 - basically is keeps switching itself off.

It stays on while it's plugged in, but 5 minutes after removing the charger, it switches off without warning.

As well as that, the apps keep crashing. Besides the internet (which was pre installed on the phone) and GMail, none of the others work. Clicking the icon just brings on a black screen and then a crash report.

And finally, it's wiped all of my contacts.

Message 1 of 19
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93240 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Back up what you can on the phone and do a factory restore. Hlod down volume-up, home and off/on switch simultainiously until you get the root menu. Use the volume button to scroll to clear cache petition then reboot.

If that doesn't cure the problem, use the same method to then factory reset. Be careful what apps you put back on there.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

jonsie
  • 93240 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Back up what you can on the phone and do a factory restore. Hlod down volume-up, home and off/on switch simultainiously until you get the root menu. Use the volume button to scroll to clear cache petition then reboot.

If that doesn't cure the problem, use the same method to then factory reset. Be careful what apps you put back on there.

Message 2 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

That seems to have worked! Thanks so much.

Actually, it's just sorted the apps. The phone is still powering off.

Message 3 of 19

jonsie
  • 93240 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

It could be an app causing the problem or possibly a software problem. Remove the apps one by one to see if that sorts it, you can always add them back. Make sure you haven't installed any battery saving apps as they can cause all manner of problems.

Unfortunately you may need to send the phone for repair if the above doesn't work.

Message 4 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I only remove apps I've installed from the Play Store, or do I take off the pre-installed ones too?

Message 5 of 19

jonsie
  • 93240 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions
Message 6 of 19

MI5
  • 144376 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
Turning off could be a faulty battery if you still have the problem without any apps installed.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried it with the apps uninstalled and it switched off mid-way through a phone call after dropping the previous one.

It may be just a battery problem, but as it dropped the calls a message appeared on screen about the radio, and on the second call it switched itself into flight mode before powering off, so it's making me think it could be something else.

Message 8 of 19

MI5
  • 144376 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
Yes, sounds as though it could be the modem that is failing. You could try reflashing the firmware or send it in for repair.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

How would I reflash the firmware? Is it a simple process?

Message 10 of 19