Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S10 WiFi calling.

SamsungFanBoy
Level 13: Prompter
  • 259 Posts
  • 70 Topics
  • 5 Solutions
I have placed an order through the O2 website for my new Galaxy S10.

As I'm moving back to O2 from EE, I think I may have to use WiFi calling more as the coverage isn't as good but I'm fed up of various issues I've had while I've been with EE.

The question I want to ask is do I need a device bought directly from O2 to have a WiFi calling device?

I've since seen a better deal through a third party which I know will send me a device with stock Samsung firmware if I cancel the O2 order and get the cheaper deal instead.

Thanks in advance! 👌🏻
Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Good news is the S10 does support Wifi Calling on O2 with open market firmware (eg, stock firmware from the likes of CPW etc).

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android/4G-Calling-on-S10-or-P30-Pro/m-p/1212227#M71960

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Hi @SamsungFanBoy

I believe only phones with O2 firmware installed will allow you access to wifi calling and 4G calling on the O2 network.

So if you purchase a phone through a third party with stock Samsung firmware only you won't be able to use wifi calling on the O2 network.

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum Welcome

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 2 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Tbh I'd ask @Chris_K for confirmation as there are some Samsung devices that work on open firmware.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 10

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Good news is the S10 does support Wifi Calling on O2 with open market firmware (eg, stock firmware from the likes of CPW etc).

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android/4G-Calling-on-S10-or-P30-Pro/m-p/1212227#M71960

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 4 of 10

SamsungFanBoy
  • 259 Posts
  • 70 Topics
  • 5 Solutions
Thank you for your help guys! The reason I asked is because my Samsung device on EE was from cpw and that has a WiFi calling feature on it but wasn't sure if O2 use their own service or something. 👌🏻
Message 5 of 10

jonsie
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 6 of 10

SamsungFanBoy
  • 259 Posts
  • 70 Topics
  • 5 Solutions
@jonsie Lots of issues regarding billing. My last bill was in excess of £300 being charged for all my calls, texts and data when the calls and texts were supposed to be unlimited and the data allowance hadn't been exceeded. Just a lot of ridiculous things like this. They ported someone else's number in to my account which resulted in them cutting me off and me losing my phone number which I'd had for 15 years! They also billed me £10 for the privilege of them sending me a new SIM card! I also believe that they are selling on customer phone numbers to companies that cold call you. Everyone I know on EE are having this issue with cold callers. I can tell BT own them now... Bring back T-Mobile is what I say! 😂
Message 7 of 10

jonsie
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I can well understand why you changed network then slight_smile

One thing you need to do though @SamsungFanBoy 

Change your preferences in My O2 as the default setting is to share your number with partners in crime.....

Message 8 of 10

SamsungFanBoy
  • 259 Posts
  • 70 Topics
  • 5 Solutions
@jonsie thanks! I've checked under 'contact preferences' and all the boxes are unticked. I must have done this when signing up for the contract initially. 😁

I'm loving my new phone! The prism green colour is amazing. 👌🏻
Message 9 of 10

jonsie
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions