Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S10 SM-G973F O2U Firmware

JohnZS
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi O2
The O2U (O2 branded) version of the Samsung Galaxy S10 SM-G973F has not received a firmware update since March.
However the unbranded BTU version has regularly received updates with the latest being June 2021.

Please can O2 sort this out as many of us are in 3 year contracts and not keeping our phones updated could put us at security risk or leave us with bugs that have been fixed.

Thanks
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@JohnZS This is not O2. This is a customer community. I will tag our admin who will be online later today and may be able to give you more info regarding any Samsung firmware updates.

@Martin-O2@TheresaV@LukasB@Chris_K can you please advise?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 12

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9992 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
@JohnZS

Just to add

The BTU / XEU versions always get updates first, and it looks like from the firmware tables it not just o2 that hasn't been updated in the UK since March.

All devices should be patched in a timely manner, but the issue could be Samsung as well as the networks
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Generally speaking, O2 push out every other security patch unless it's something critical @JohnZS 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 12

JohnZS
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for the response all.
I am curious to see if O2 do respond. Until March updates came nearly every month, but since March BTU has received 3 updates yet OTU has not.
I hope this is not the case of the carriers only paying Samsung for 2 years worth of updates, but tying customers in for 3!
Message 5 of 12

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

Hi @JohnZS slight_smile

Thanks for making us aware. We have passed this on internally and will definitely let you know once we have more details on the issue!

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 6 of 12

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@JohnZS wrote:
Thanks for the response all.
I am curious to see if O2 do respond. Until March updates came nearly every month, but since March BTU has received 3 updates yet OTU has not.
I hope this is not the case of the carriers only paying Samsung for 2 years worth of updates, but tying customers in for 3!

Just to offer some insight here which will hopefully help with software update understanding. They're a complicated beast but here's how it typically works:

• Samsung send us/networks the update to test > We/networks test it > We/networks return approvals or request fixes/changes > Samsung collate approvals (unless fixes/changes are needed) > Samsung eventually release the update

As soon as Samsung sends us updates we typically look to test and return our findings to Samsung within a week or so, or within a few days if it's just a monthly security patch. From there, unfortunately it's largely out of our hands - we need either for Samsung to send a fix/updated version, or to release it to customers.

That being said though, we have released March, April & May updates for the S10 range. If you haven't had these, I'd suggest trying a manual update check and hopefully you'll see these appear.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 7 of 12

JohnZS
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @Chris_K

Such and informative and helpful response. No joy with the manual update on the phone either.

SmartSelect_20210611-071305_Software update.jpg

John

Message 8 of 12

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

I think I see the problem...

When I google the build number you're currently on, this is on the 'XEU' update path, suggesting you may have got your Samsung S10 from Carphone Warehouse or a similar reseller? The problem here is your current software isn't on the 'O2U' update path so whenever we release updates, your phone won't see them - it's looking for 'XEU' updates. Unfortunately this isn't something we control or have any influence on, so is likely something you'll need to contact CPW or Samsung about directly I'm afraid.

If they refer you back to O2, it's worth reminding them as the phone didn't come from O2, it's not running O2 firmware and as such, doesn't get its updates from O2 - but from Samsung.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 9 of 12

JohnZS
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi @Chris_K 

My phone is genuine from O2 store phone and with O2U software 

You can also see here O2U

https://doc.samsungmobile.com/SM-G973F/O2U/doc.html