Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Android

Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Samsung Galaxy S data connection reliability

i've worked out that the the phone after the update using the default settings doesnt switch from high speed to gsm. you watch the icon it just stays on "H" . using the new settings the phone is switching instantly when there is low bandwidth so it goes from H to 3g on the icon and the speed difference is awesome .
so the tweak defo works
Highlighted
Anonymous

I left the house this morning with the tweaked settings installed, travelled to work, went about my day and returned home. I don't think I've noticed anything different, the data icon spends most of the time frozen on 'H' with neither green/red arrows lit up. I turn the phone off then on again, for a limited time I have connection.
This is really quite frustrating so I think I'll give support a call as I've been having problems ever since I unlocked my phone.
Highlighted
Anonymous

I'm starting to get really irritated by this. Both the default APN settings and the tweak suggested by the user above don't give me a reliable connection and still I'm having trouble with my 3G.
Here's a screencap of how the little data icon spends most of it's time unless I restart my device:
Highlighted
Anonymous

Mine's exactly the same. Switching from GSM to 3G doesn't work unless I reboot. It was fine before I upgraded to Gingerbread, and it's not unlocked either.
I've also tried the fix above which hasn't worked.
Highlighted
Anonymous

I rung O2 about this. The first advisor suggested I text "ACTIVE" to 2020 despite the Galaxy S not supporting this and that internet settings must be updated manually! (Typical...typical)
The second advisor offered to email me the correct internet settings which I accepted. Inputted them in...still no change.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Ryan,
I'm posting somewhat tentatively, but I seem to have solved the issue on my handset.
Unfortunately, I made quite a few changes last night so I'm not able to say which change fixed it.
Firstly I updated the Samsung Apps, which I hadn't done since the Gingerbread update. Secondly, I removed loads of apps I didn't use, the only one I can remember was Skype, but maybe if you provide a list of what you have, I can advise if I had any of them that I removed.
I've driven over 90 miles today, moving from 2G to 3G and back again, and the connection has been solid.
Let me know how you get. Maybe between us we can get to the bottom of this.
Cheers.
Highlighted
Anonymous

I read on the Android forums that it's down to an incomplete update :/
Highlighted
Anonymous

OK, but what do they mean by that?
Looks like I spoke too soon anyway. It worked fine up until 5pm and then failed to switch from GSM to 3G, which is where it's been since.
Highlighted
Anonymous

That it's a bug in the firmware update
Highlighted
Anonymous

Any update on this?
I usually find, if I restart my phone in the morning before leaving for work, my 3G signal is fine journeying into the city. After midday and the journey back, I have NO signal at all. Restarting my device will sometimes fix this (for a limited amount of time).
I would go see the O2 Guru but we had a rather heated row a few months back over the ridiculous age verification nonsense.