cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 no longer starts up

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good morning everyone.

I have been a long term o2 customer and I haven't had any real problems with the service or my phone.

I am an o2 Pay Monthly customer.

That is; until today.

My phone has been acting strangely over the last few days. Unexplained freezes, stops in the middle of anything etc.

Is this a corrupt SIM card issue, a corrupt memory card?

The phone is a Galaxy Ace 2 GT-I8160.

I have got all my text messages backed up to my email from last night, and I can always reload my WhatsApp and it will reload all the messages and chats.

Now I have just cleaned up the SIM card, memory card and put them back in and the phone has now restarted OK.

Any ideas what's going on here and why please?

Any suggestions? Get a new SIM card?

Get the phone checked at an o2 shop?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

As your phone restarted properly after you cleaned the sim I would say you probably need a new one..

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards

Or you can pop into a local O2 shop and pick one up from there...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

It's a fairly old phone in terms of Samsung phones and also Android OS (it's already three upgrades behind with a fourth soon on the way). It may be that the phone is just past it's sell-by date. You might want to start thinking about a newer phone. Even if it could be repaired, it probably isn't worth the expense

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

A search on the Android forums shows that many people are complaining of similar issues with this phone.

There is no long term fix, anything you do will work for a while then other problems will probably start.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Bambino.

Which phone would you recommend?

I was thinking about the Samsung Galaxy Alpha?

Please advise or recommend anything that you think is better.

Message 5 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous. I really don't like recommending particular phones to people. Apart from not wanting to be responsible if the phone I might suggest doesn't suit, it's a matter of personal taste, and everyone's tastes are vastly different. There are lots of new phones just released, or about to come to market. The amount of choice is daunting. The Galaxy Alpha looks a decent phone, but it's not Samsung's latest and greatest, and there are newer, better Samsung phones already out there.

My advice to you would be to go into a Carphone Warehouse, have a play with some different phones, and see what suits you best. It's always a good idea to first be tactile with a phone you're going to be using for probably a couple of years. I'm sure a CPW salesperson will try to sell you on a particular phone, but you should trust your own instincts and go with what you prefer. You also shouldn't feel obligated to buy a phone from them if you're just looking. I wish you good luck in your search and happy hunting.:smileywink:

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

There are far too many to mention. It may be a good idea to stick with Android though as you are used to that OS. It really is down to personal choice, usage and finances....

Have a look through the shop

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/phones/#sort=content.sorting.featured

One word of advice ....any new phone should be bought from a reputable stockist. Do not be tempted to buy from Ebay etc

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 8

jonsie
  • 93187 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Samsung will be releasing their latest and greatest soon, announcements later today so hopefully prices of others may come down. As @Bambino suggests, it pays to shop around, go into the mobile stores and get a feel for them. Also read the online reviews for anything you are interested in. One you can read here from a respected reviewer. Look at the good and bad points and see whether these suit your usage.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-alpha-1263303/review

Message 8 of 8