cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS texts converting to MMS

Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to find out information on why my Samsung Galaxy Edge on O2 network converting texts to MMS. Cant seem to find in the help sections.Does anyone know why my messages would be doing this please?

When googling the problem it seems some networks have character limits before converting, so wondering if this is an O2 thing?

Thanks

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122384 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions
Message 7 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
  • 143455 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
All networks limit an SMS to 480 characters.
Keep it below this for a single text and it won't convert.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

also if you add some Emoji's to texts they will convert to MMS

Message 3 of 16

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

In message settings tick the box to advise you when converting to mms. That way you can delete emoticons or whichever characters are responsible.

Message 4 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Don't have that but on the edge is a choice of warning or restricted. Warning is a tiny grey box that appears when you text but only stays for a couple of seconds so easy to miss. Don't know what restricted will do though but might try it
Message 5 of 16

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous have you been sending long worded texts or using emojis, or a combination of both? If so, you have your answer.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122384 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions
Message 7 of 16

MI5
  • 143455 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Don't have that but on the edge is a choice of warning or restricted. Warning is a tiny grey box that appears when you text but only stays for a couple of seconds so easy to miss. Don't know what restricted will do though but might try it

You have a text count that you can turn on though to keep your eye on it. The count will also take into account any emoji's and the extra space they take up.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes I have and if honest was a bit ignorant of the character allowance and the emoji thing but am starting to get the idea now. Have one contact that I send long messages to, but had a mobile for years and its never come up before now. Thanks Bambino
Message 9 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Will do, thanks Cleo
Message 10 of 16