cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S5 upgraded to 6.0.1 and now the Gyroscope is broken

Anonymous
Not applicable

My S5 upgraded to 6.0.1 at the weekend and shortly afterwards realised my auto-rotate wasn't working.

After a bit of playing found that ALL gyroscope features had stopped working.

I rebooted and it was fine again, but some time later the same thing happened.. And now its doing the same thing over and over.. After a reboot I get normal gyroscope functionality, but only for a while.

Interestingly, when its in the "bad" state, when I go into the self test screen (*#0*#0) and test the Gryos, the temperature shows 9172 and the test fails.

But after a reboot its completetly normal.

I am sure O2/Samsung will say that this is hardware, but I don't buy it, as google shows countless other people reporting the same.. Many of these where able to fix it by "shocking" the phone (hitting it).. But not me.

Has anyone else seen this? Any idea of what to do? Is there any way to "roll back" to my old release?

Jon

Message 1 of 51
50 REPLIES 50

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
You can refresh any s5 firmware with odin, downloaded from www.sammobile.com.
Goto the firmware tab, find your phone and firmware and download it to PC. There is also a link and instructions to using odin.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 21 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cheers.. Going to try them.. Will it preserve my apps/settings/config? Or will I need to do a backup/reset/restore again? If so, I think I need to research how to do a backup/restore again as I just can't spend another day like I did, as it was a complete waste of time.

Jon

Message 22 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking at the site, there are several 5.0 version for my phone (SM-G900F) for O2.. Are they all the same? Can I use any?

Message 23 of 51

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
You need to use the latest one that worked.
If you just flash and don't tick any of the repartition or reset options nothing will be changed in terms of data or settings.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 24 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
You need to use the latest one that worked.
If you just flash and don't tick any of the repartition or reset options nothing will be changed in terms of data or settings.

Cheers. I think I will take a few backups just incase.. People have mentioned using Smart Switch to 'repair' the firmware.. Any ideas how you do this? I have looked at the PC and Android app and can't find any features.

Could I just re-install 6.0.1 over the top to see what happens?

Jon

Message 25 of 51

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
You can only "repair" with Smartswitch if it sees the firmware as broken.

Currently using:
Message 26 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
You can only "repair" with Smartswitch if it sees the firmware as broken.

Ahh.. Right.. Downgrade it is.. I tried joining up with SamMobile and didn't get a confirmation email so have mailed their support and am waiting for them.

I have managed to download the firmware from their site.. Are there any guides on how I flash the phone with it? Do I use Keis, or this "odin" software you referred too?> If the latter, where do I get that?

Message 27 of 51

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Odin. It's on the firmware download link.
I have written a guide on here but I can't l in nk you to other as I am on mobile.
If you search forum for the index thread you should find it listed in there.

Currently using:
Message 28 of 51

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Just be wary downloading odin from anywhere else as they are a few dodgy links around.

Currently using:
Message 29 of 51

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
I've managed to copy it, hopefully.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/HOW-TO-A-Guide-to-using-Odin/m-p/46346...

Currently using:
Message 30 of 51