cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S5 upgraded to 6.0.1 and now the Gyroscope is broken

Anonymous
Not applicable

My S5 upgraded to 6.0.1 at the weekend and shortly afterwards realised my auto-rotate wasn't working.

After a bit of playing found that ALL gyroscope features had stopped working.

I rebooted and it was fine again, but some time later the same thing happened.. And now its doing the same thing over and over.. After a reboot I get normal gyroscope functionality, but only for a while.

Interestingly, when its in the "bad" state, when I go into the self test screen (*#0*#0) and test the Gryos, the temperature shows 9172 and the test fails.

But after a reboot its completetly normal.

I am sure O2/Samsung will say that this is hardware, but I don't buy it, as google shows countless other people reporting the same.. Many of these where able to fix it by "shocking" the phone (hitting it).. But not me.

Has anyone else seen this? Any idea of what to do? Is there any way to "roll back" to my old release?

Jon

Message 1 of 51
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

I say send it to Samsung for repair  but our Samsung experts here @MI5 @jonsie @Cleoriff & @viridis may offer more advice 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 51
50 REPLIES 50

Anonymous
Not applicable

I say send it to Samsung for repair  but our Samsung experts here @MI5 @jonsie @Cleoriff & @viridis may offer more advice 

Message 2 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.. I look forwards to hearing what people say.. I would be VERY surprised if this was hardware as it stinks of software to me, especially as it only happened after the Marshmallow update.

But if the experts agree, I guess I have no choice....I look forwards to their views.

Jon

Message 3 of 51

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Get it to Samsung.
Either way, if the update has caused an issue, they will sort it out.
If out of warranty, i suggest trying a repair installation in smart switch first to rule out a dodgy install.
Message 4 of 51

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous Have you tried to do a factory reset? Lots of times that's the only way to get everything back working after a major update. Obviously back everything up before you do it.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

@viridis wrote:
Get it to Samsung.
Either way, if the update has caused an issue, they will sort it out.
If out of warranty, i suggest trying a repair installation in smart switch first to rule out a dodgy install.

What is "Smart Switch"? Is that an app? I do plan a factory reset, but need to find time to sit down and back it up first (I guess I use Keis for that?)

I don't think Samsung will help.. The phone is years old and well out of warantee.. And to be honest, its a works phone, so I could just get it swapped.. Problem is, I would loose out on the bigger screen on the S5 as I only got this to "evaluate" and kept it... So I would now have to go back to a 'standard' phone with the smaller screen, so am anxious to keep this one.

Message 6 of 51

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You can reflash the previous firmware if a factory reset doesn't fix.
You're out of warranty so nothing to lose.
Download smartswitch and back it up before resetting - if no good come back and we can go through flashing the phone.
http://www.samsung.com/uk/smart-switch/
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 51

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous As far as I'm aware, Smart Switch is for backing up: 

http://www.samsung.com/uk/smart-switch/samsung-desktop-app.html

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am now a little stuck.. I took a backup with Smart Switch.. Then did a factory reset.. And finaly a restore

I assumed this would get my phone back to the condition that it was before.. But it didn't.. None of my apps are working (all have lost their settings) and its going to take hours to get it back to where it was.

I am not worried about loosing data, as in truth, I don't have any files I am worried about loosing.. What I am concerned about is getting 'apps' working and in the same state as before.

For example I use Touchdown for my work mail.. That is completely unconfigured.. I used Podcast Republic for podcasts.. That is now empty, with no subscriptions, or list of podcasts I have listened too... And hte list goes on.

Should I just crack on and re-configure everything, or did I miss a step when I did my restore?

Jon

Message 9 of 51

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It sounds like you didn't select the option to back up app settings?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 51