cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S5 Rollback to 4.4.x KitKat?

Anonymous
Not applicable

For all the negative comments already post here and on other forums about  Lollipop on the S5 which I will not add to, I'm looking for a way to revert back to KK.

Does anyone know or can provide a link to downgrade the OS?

Also as this rolled out with o2's blessing and its having a negative impact on the phones performance and it's still in the warranty period, I'm wondering what the position is for o2 to correct the issue, I'm sure they have S5s in stock with KK on them still, can I exchange it?

Thanks in advance Confused

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 125924 Posts
  • 870 Topics
  • 7551 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

The beauty of android is that you are able to do so though if it trips Knox your warranty is goosed. Apparently it's fairly straight forward so I'm going to get rid of the dreaded 4.3 on the S3 and go with KK.

Well.... with your S3 I would imagine the 2 year warranty is up anyway. So not a problem if it  trips Knox?

What will you do when Lollipop is rolled out for your Note 4 @jonsie ?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93978 Posts
  • 645 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions
Message 12 of 14

version7point0
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 648 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 181 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

For all the negative comments already post here and on other forums about  Lollipop on the S5 which I will not add to, I'm looking for a way to revert back to KK.

Does anyone know or can provide a link to downgrade the OS?

Also as this rolled out with o2's blessing and its having a negative impact on the phones performance and it's still in the warranty period, I'm wondering what the position is for o2 to correct the issue, I'm sure they have S5s in stock with KK on them still, can I exchange it?

Thanks in advance Confused

If you are serious about looking at downgrading the OS you are best starting at http://www.xda-developers.com/

Be warned you will void any warranty -  so as a personal tip make sure you also research how to reverse anything you are tempted to do - which includes Knox.

@Cleoriff wrote:

It really isn't an O2 issue. If you look on other forums there are  people on different networks who are having problems with Lollipop. (equally a lot of people like it)

Some installed it immediately it became available. A lot of members on here will wait until the bug fixes are rolled out....:smileywink:

Google hand it off to Samsung, Samsung hand it off to O2 to veryify - more can always be done, but your general public are always the best testing bed for software - but the impact of this one seems to have escaped hugely.

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks PhillPark for the link slight_smile

Yeah, I doubt O2 would do anything either, altho an online guru advised me to go into a store where someone could fix my issues?!

In store they can only check settings, offer to reset  the device (but this still retains the current OS), after speaking with O2's repair service, any repair options will come back on 5.0 and all new stock appears to be on 5.0 too.

It's a case of waiting for Samsung to correct their mistakes and roll out another update.

Message 13 of 14

MI5
  • 149327 Posts
  • 665 Topics
  • 28494 Solutions
You can flash whatever you want on your S5 but if you downgrade you will trip Knox and void your warranty.
There is no need for root.
All info is on a guide I wrote a while back.
http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/HOW-TO-A-Guide-to-using-Odin/m-p/46346...
Some have said it is OK to flash back to KK from Lollipop but it's up to you if you choose to do it.
O2 will not entertain a phone swap because of personal opinion.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 14 of 14