Did you mean: 

S20 - Major issues

dlevick
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Morning All,

Iv had my S20 for a few days now (2nd one after my initial one was faulty).

Im having major issues with it to the point I actualy hate this phone.

Issue 1: Battery Drain

So my first handset had to go back because the battery drain was so bad samsung thought it must be faulty. My 2nd device isnt much better.

Iv come from a 2 year old p20 pro which would use about 5% and hour with me using it none stop.

This S20 is using 5% every 30 mins... with no usage. As an example I unplugged my phone at 100% at 8am this morning, its now 8:57 and my battery is at 87%... iv not used it.

Iv trawled XDA and tryed a few things in terms of the screen settings, refresh rates, dark more, Natural insted of vivid, disabled apps, power control on apps , turn off 5g etc and then installing all my apps manualy insted of Smart Switch on initial setup....

Its still not lasting a day even with minimal usage.

Its really really poor, im now thinking my first handset wasnt faulty.... just this S20 is rubbish.

Issue 2: Wow how bad is the camera

So my other issue is the camera... one of the main selling points on this handset is practicly useless.

Again coming from a P20 Pro im used to amazing photos, but that handset is 2 years old... surely samsung has caught up? nope.

Iv given up using the 64mp mode because every photo is blured, the auto focus simply dosnt work...

the standard photo mode (10mp) i think does auto focus, but there is such a lag between pressing the shutter button and the photo taking it makes everything blur. 

Can anyone help or is this (flagship) phone simply a waste of time?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@dlevick 

I'm not sure how much help we can give. None of the regulars on here have the S20.

You are obviously disappointed with the phone in general and the problem is according to the guidelines you are only allowed one change of mind.

"Once you’ve got your new purchase in your hand, you have 28 days if you want to exchange it. You can only swap an item once, or you can have your money back. Either way, you’ll need to contact us within 28 days of purchase and tell us you want to change your mind".

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/our-change-of-mind-policy 

You could try calling O2 and ask for a refund. Numbers here Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 11

dlevick
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I had high hopes, i really did but it seems to have so many issues that I dont know what to do.
There isnt much else in terms of anything similar and lets face it no android user wants an apple phone.

My last Samsung was an S2 so I was hoping some more Samsung savy people may know some more
Message 3 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@dlevick 

I'll mention @MI5 and @viridis  who have had many Samsung phones. They aren't online yet so you will have to wait.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 11

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
I can only assume it's either another faulty phone or you are installing an app that is running wild.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 11

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
They released a few updates regarding the camera, apparently yes there was issues with focusing when using high MP, I cannot tell you if it got fully fixed, regarding battery, there have been many posts on the Samsung community and even XDA which sadly confirm my thoughts with S20, the exynos version battery management is again, poor. There are many guides out there that will tell you that to get the best out of the battery you can reduce this or turn off that, but I've never been a fan of turning a phone into a 3 year old specsheet in order to get good battery life. I dunno, Maybe you have a draining app, or maybe that's just how it is. Sadly I believe it's the latter.
Message 6 of 11

dlevick
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

liv replaced the handset already thinking it was faulty but appparantly not, it sounds like its common with the exynos chips in the EU variant of the phone. Iv checked the apps and nothing is going mental on it, iv tryed changing all of the power things like the dark mode, screen refresh rates, 5g etc etc but it has minimal impact. I simply cant be sure if at the end of a shift my phones going to be alive or dead.

Im thinking a One Plus 8 or maybe even down to a P30 now 😞

Message 7 of 11

dlevick
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
so im better with a 2 yr old phone than paying 700 for something i effectively have to downgrade to get a decent battery.

Im glad someone else has seen the issue and im not just getting fobbed off
Message 8 of 11

dlevick
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Iv returned the handset now, worse one iv ever had. Iv never returned a phone before....
Message 9 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@dlevick 

Have you asked for a refund then?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 11