cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Google Play after factory reset

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 with Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread. Recently my data was being used up after only a few days into the month. I couldn't find the app responsible so I did a factory reset which solved the problem However, after the reset I noticed that Google Play was missing from the phone so I cannot restore any apps. When I tried to download Google Play from Google I had a message saying that my operating system was too old (or words to that effect). I then downloaded a file called PlayStore_v8.5.37.W-all.apk to my phone SD card (from a 3rd party website via my laptop) but I can't get the phone to load it.

How can I restore Google Play back on my phone?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
That error means the .apk you have isn't compatible with your software.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 with Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread. Recently my data was being used up after only a few days into the month. I couldn't find the app responsible so I did a factory reset which solved the problem However, after the reset I noticed that Google Play was missing from the phone so I cannot restore any apps. When I tried to download Google Play from Google I had a message saying that my operating system was too old (or words to that effect). I then download a file called PlayStore_v8.5.37.W-all.apk to my phone SD card (from a 3rd party website via my laptop) but I can't get the phone to load it.

How can I restore Google Play back on my phone?

@Anonymous Android Gingerbread was used back 2011. So if you try to install Google Play v8.5.37 it won't work because of compatiblity issue. Download an older version i.e. 3.8.15. It must work slight_smile 

Message 12 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks I came to that conclusion.

I have discovered that Google stopped supporting Android 2.3.3 (Gingerbread) in Nov 2016. Subsequent versions of Google Play will not be compatible with Gingerbread and therefore will not download. I will need to find Google Play version 10.0 x or earlier to be compatible with my operating system. However, that version will probably be no good for downloading modern apps.

The learning point is do not do a factory reset on an old phone!

In summary therefore, I have a phone without apps. As someone who grew up in the time of rationing after WW2 I am reluctant to throw away things but I have decided to treat myself to a new Samsung Galaxy S8.

Thanks for everyone's help on this topic.

Craggy.

Message 13 of 16

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It is the only option unfortunately.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Also @Anonymous a great choice of new phone....Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 16

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts