cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Google Play after factory reset

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 with Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread. Recently my data was being used up after only a few days into the month. I couldn't find the app responsible so I did a factory reset which solved the problem However, after the reset I noticed that Google Play was missing from the phone so I cannot restore any apps. When I tried to download Google Play from Google I had a message saying that my operating system was too old (or words to that effect). I then downloaded a file called PlayStore_v8.5.37.W-all.apk to my phone SD card (from a 3rd party website via my laptop) but I can't get the phone to load it.

How can I restore Google Play back on my phone?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You need a minimum of ICS now for most of the android apps due to security issues with older firmware.
What exactly is happening when trying to install the apk you have downloaded?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@AnonymousIf you look  at this old article and scroll down to Hovsep's answer, there is a fix in that. Whether it works now remains to be seen...https://www.makeuseof.com/answers/cant-run-google-play-store-galaxy-s2/

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 16

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Might be time to buy yourself a belated Christmas present, @Anonymous, and get yourself a new phone.:smileywink:

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 16

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
A free custom ROM will fix it.
There's loads available on XDA for the S2 wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 16

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just don't seem able to move the apk file from the SD card to the right file on the phone. I don't know enough about it.

Message 7 of 16

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You shouldn’t need to move it.
Once downloaded you just tap it to install it.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 16

MercedesS
  • 1192 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 18 Solutions

Hello @Anonymous,

Happy New Year! Did you get it fixed? Please let us know if there’s anything else we can do to help!

Thanks @jonsie@Bambino@Cleoriff and @MI5 for all Hug

Get involved! If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution”.If you are new to the community, please read How to use the community
Message 9 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried that but I get a "Parse Error" message saying "There is a problem parsing the package".

I think it is time to buy a new phone.

Thanks for your help.

Message 10 of 16