cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with 4g connection

Anonymous
Not applicable
I recently bought a Sony xperia xa1. Since the very beginning I had problems making phone calls over Skype using my broadband data. I use Skype often ringing abroad and it's very frustrating. Whenever I try to make a call I get disconnected because 'Internet connection is too weak'. I could have 4 bars of signal, yet I can't make a call. There is no problem using WiFi though. Is this a device fault?
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11991 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
@Jay6 - are you in a 4G calling area?
You say that you have tried a different sim - whose was it?
Did they have 4G calling enabled on their account?
If it worked with a different sim but not yours, then it suggests there is an issue with yours - either you do not have 4G calling enabled, or there is a fault with your sim. To rule out a fault, get a new sim either by calling customer services on 202 or pop into an o2 shop.
If you call, you can also check they have enabled 4G calling (or you can check in the My o2 app).
@Anonymous - are you having problems calling when connected to your broad band or over 4G? Who is your BB provider and what speed do you get?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 11 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Jay6
No problems using BB, I'm with virgin and it works fine over WiFi . It's only playing up when I'm using 4g.
Message 12 of 22

Jay6
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

i have tried all the options 

new sim card

wifi call enabled

4g enables

the area i am calling from had full 4g reception 

like ive said i had no issue until about 5 weeks ago!

i will most probably move networks as i use the skype internaitoanl calling to landlines frequently.

Its dissapointing that o2 cannot get this resolved as i have been with o2 for the past 15 years,,,

Message 13 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Where to check whether 4g calling is enabled? I looked on myo2 app and can't find it.
Message 14 of 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It’s combined with WiFi calling.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 22

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Jay6 Is 4g calling enabled in in your area not all 4g areas are volte enabled as yet https://www.o2.co.uk/coveragechecker use your full postcode for accurate results 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 16 of 22

Jay6
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have full 4g access at home

I tried a Virgin sim card on 4g and had no issues connecting.

Message 17 of 22

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Full 4g access not the same as 4g calling coverage 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 18 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
I spoke to O2 guru over the phone and he told me to get a new sim as this could be a problem. If that doesn't help they will need to look into a handset as it might be faulty.
Message 19 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi. I have the same issue with Skype on 4g. The other party can hear me fine but I don't hear anything and it disconnects me after 10 seconds or so due to connection being to slow. There is definitely problem with o2 servers. When I use VPN on 4g Skype is working without issue. I think O2 limits the bandwidth for Skype making it unusable.

Message 20 of 22