cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oneplus 3T Midnight Black same IMEI number for 2 sim slots

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Oneplus 3T in Midnight Black that has the same IMEI number for 2 sim slots. Surely this is a problem. This violates the GSM Standard. I asked Oneplus and they said this is not supposed to be like that. 

Any help?

Message 1 of 25
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey guys I've received a response about the dual sim IMEI number question. 

The OnePlus device reporting only one IMEI is not a fault. An IMEI is essentially a serial number that helps us identify the device on our network and systems. Each SIM slot however will have a unique IMSI number – this is what’s needed for both SIMs to function as expected. Having 1 IMEI as opposed to 2 will not alter or limit the functionality of your device compared to one which reports two separate IMEI, but with just one IMEI it does help us to limit potential fraud and abuse on the O2 network.

I hope that clears it up but if there are any further questions please let me know wink

Edit: @Anonymous

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

View solution in original post

Message 23 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
The IMEI would be for the phone not the sim
Message 2 of 25

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Oneplus made it so it's their problem to fix.
o2 should replace it but they don't make the phones so I'm not sure what else o2 can do?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

read what I've typed, when I dial in *#06#* the 2 IMEI numbers are the same. IMEI 1 is for the fist sim slot and IMEI 2 is the second sim slot

Message 4 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
How long will the replacement take?
Message 5 of 25

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
The IMEI would be for the phone not the sim

Each sim slot should have a unique identifier......

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 25

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
How long will the replacement take?

If you bought in store take it back for an immediate exchange.

If online, call customer service to arrange a doorstep exchange http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Currently using:
Message 7 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

So, for now, I will not use the second sim slot. I will also call o2 to get this fixed, just about to enjoy the phone and I had to look at the sticker on the box, that's when I noticed the single IMEI number. I checked with #*06*# then my heart just sank!Cry

Message 8 of 25

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Have you tried 2 sims in it to see what happens?

Currently using:
Message 9 of 25

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3004 Solutions

This has nothing to do with the GSM standard, as the IMEI applies to handsets and not the network infrastructure it talks too.. and basically the IMEI applies to the radio inside the device, and as the one plus only has one radio , thus one IMEI number..

The GSMA standard you talk about is a guideline and not an RFC or published standard.

You do have 2 IMSI numbers which is the important bit, as this is what is sent to the network, to initiate any MO (mobile orientated) traffic or for MT (mobile terminated) traffic.. the IMEI is basically a serial number of the device..

O2 wont replace the handset as there is nothing to be fixed, as it is working as designed, and i doubt you find a CS guy who will understand GSMA Standards or how technically the network works... 

Dual Sim, single active sim at a time for calls and data, if you get a call on both sims then the last dialler is diverted to VM.

What are you trying to achieve @Anonymous

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 10 of 25