cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 live streaming poor quality

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi i had a lg g2 on EE i could watch football in it not a problem picture quality was perfect contract come to an end so i changed to O2 now im on 4G i have a LG g3 and when i try to watch something fast moving ie football rugby motorsport the picture quality is garbage it is barely watchable now i have had a sim swap i unlocked my old g2 and tried a t mobile 3g sim in it picture was perfect then put my o2 4g sim in it picture was terrible ( full signal also) im at my wits end o2 say its the third party app thats the problem not there network but it is the same on bbc iplayer sky go and tv catchup has anyone experienced this or can someone tell me a phone that works ok with o2 streaming thanks in advance lee
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Others have complained of data and image compression. I don't do a lot of streaming but I have to admit that streaming experience is so much better on EE than on O2. I have contracts with both so can easily compare.

There are other threads about this, one of them here :

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/4G-compression-is-it-just-me-AWFUL-browsing-expe...

Message 2 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie  @Cleoriff  @viridis     @MI5 

@Bambino    @Anonymous 

Calling all androids slight_smile . Isn't the streaming quite good quality on the Note 3 and 4?

Message 3 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
From my experience streaming has been "ok" on 3g however as 4g is a rural myth I can't comment on that.

It certainly isn't as good as on wifi using o2.

Jonsie has tried with EE and I think so has MI5.
Message 4 of 31

Cleoriff
  • 122900 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

I have only tried it once. I was in Spain and wanted to watch an English TV programme via Film On... (I was out and using WiFi). It was OK if I am honest...but better on my HP Tablet (also Android) wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 31

jonsie
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

As I say, I don't stream much. Just use the Sky Go app sometimes for football or the odd You Tube video. Quality is much better on the Note 2 using EE than the Note 4 using O2 but having said that, it's perfectly watchable on the Note 4.

Message 6 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sky Go itself is compressed by Sky and is not a patch on BT Sport which is steamed in HD but of course uses more data. I wish EE had coverage at my home address but sadly not the case. It says outdoor 4g but I can't find it lol. Otherwise I have a sim so would test it.
Message 7 of 31

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Bambino    @Anonymous 

Calling all androids slight_smile . Isn't the streaming quite good quality on the Note 3 and 4?

One does not simply tag @viridis 

In regards to streaming though, I haven't noticed any problems with o2 compared with Vodafone (my other provider and only one I can compare to)

I would have originally said that the difference would have been due to pixel stretching on the G3 as it has a 2k screen and most streams are between 720-1080 and the image must be stretched to fit the 2k resulting in 1pixel actually being placed over 4+ pixels. The resulting image wouldn't look that great. 

But as the op has tested the o2 sim in the G2 and seen similar results I'm at a loss as to what could be causing it unless the o2 signal is not as strong which would make most streaming apps knock the bitrate down (the actual apps control the quality based on speed received)

It goes 

4k (Netflix only)

2k (Netflix, some now TV movies)

1080p

1080i 

900p

720p

720p

720i

540p

540p

540i

From what your saying I would suggest that the o2 signal and speed is not good enough for the top 3 and you being knocked back to 1080i or 900p 

Message 8 of 31

Cleoriff
  • 122900 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

No.. Correct....one does not simply tag @viridis  One puts him on his own platform and he can tell us all how it is........Wonder Boy.... Bouncy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

@viridis wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Bambino    @Anonymous 

One does not simply tag @viridis 

One simply does tag @viridis because he just knows about android Hero...The rest of the post proves it!

(and one will continue to tag...LOL)

Message 10 of 31