cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2/Carphone Warehouse phone unlock hot mess!

Alisonjane10
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello folks.

I’m in a frustrating circle between O2 & Carphone Warehouse. I’d be grateful for any help & advice. I requested O2 unlock an old Samsung S4 Mini phone, so I can pass it on to a friend. I was emailed in return by O2, who informed me the IMEI number I’d given was not on O2. When I clarified that, I was told that I’d bought the phone at Carphone Warehouse, and it was they who are responsible for unlocking my phone. So, I called CPW, who in turn, informed me all of their phones are sold unlocked, and that I should contact my provider O2 again. I have tried 4 different SIM cards in my phone, all from different networks. None of them were recognised. The O2 SIM was. Therefore, clearly..my phone is definitely locked to O2. I’m now in the position of limbo, with no idea of what to do now, & no way to resolve the problem with O2 OR Carphone Warehouse. I’ve been an 02 customer for several years, & I’m disappointed with their lack of support with this. Can anyone help? Thank you.

AJ

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
The quickest way you will get this unlocked is your local market stall or phone repair shop.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It is true that phones supplied by CPW are not locked so are you sure it's a network lock you are seeing or a sim change lock, as the 2 are very different.
Also, was it a CPW store or online from one of their sister companies?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 6

Alisonjane10
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello,

Thank you for responding to my question. The phone was bought at a branch of Carphone Warehouse. The phone is definitely locked to O2, and has no SIM card lock. It’s all very frustrating.

Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
The quickest way you will get this unlocked is your local market stall or phone repair shop.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 6

Alisonjane10
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you for your help. I took your advice, rather than continue to get stressed over a blooming phone. So, £10.99 poorer, but I've passed the handset onto a friend, who didn't have a phone, and she's chuffed to bits with it. I appreciate your sensible advice. X
Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Unfortunately O2 do make things very difficult sometimes..
Glad you got sorted.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 6