cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note 3 and S4 built in VoIP client

Anonymous
Not applicable

Serious question...

Does anybody here actually use the built-in sip/voip calling on the note 3 and s4?  You know, in settings, device, call, internet call settings?

Oh, you didn't even know it was there, right?  Smiley LOL

Still here?  Great!

Well, I use it a lot.  Problem is that calling the note 3 from the s4 works fine, but calling the s4 from the note 3, the volume is inaudible.  Really faint.

Why?

The audio data is passed directly between the phones, it doesn't go via the sip server.

Tested both against a VoIP app on an iPhone 5s, and the volume was fine.

Is it a case of nobody uses it, so nobody notices the problem?

Really, it's quite good to have it built in so you can make internet calls directly within the phone app, and since you can get a free sip address, there is no reason not to.  (Apart from maybe the fact that the built in app does not support video or encryption.)

Saved me a fortune on international calls.

Comments?  (Seriously folks!)

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 124199 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

Not heard of it if honest @Anonymous .

I would have a question though....if you are using this, does the person you are calling need to have it enabled (or built in) to their device?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

If they don't have it built in, (and I've only seen it on samsungs), there are apps available for android and iPhone to let you communicate together.

I don't know if I can put a link here to the free service I use, (advertising), so I'll PM you.

Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 146917 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28262 Solutions
Never used it as I'm not so tight that I don't mind paying for international calls - that and my company pays the bill slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Never used it as I'm not so tight that I don't mind paying for international calls - that and my company pays the bill slight_smile

Yeah but at times I was in an area with wi-fi but no celular signal Smiley Surprised, yes it can happen.  When you least expect it.

But you're right, it's better to pay a bit for a decent international line rather than go for the cheapest bargain basement solution and put up with the clicking and buzzing.

Mind you, the voip solution does let me be contacted on my sip address from anywhere in the world, which is useful to me.  Plus, if I'm travelling through an area for which I don't have a local sim card.

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 146917 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28262 Solutions
Don't get me wrong - I can see the advantages. It's just not something I've bothered with.... Maybe I should - when sober wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 6 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 124199 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Don't get me wrong - I can see the advantages. It's just not something I've bothered with.... Maybe I should - when sober wink

You sound pretty coherent to me mate....as you are probably lying in a puddle of Merlot LOL

Oh Whoops...back on topic...Evil

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 146917 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28262 Solutions
Don't be confused by autocorrect slight_smile
Message 8 of 8