Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Xperia XZ firmware

GUK
Level 3: Thinker
  • 50 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm not wetting my pants or losing sleep or anything, but there's new firmware for the Sony Xperia XZ, which contains the January Android security updates. The new version is 41.3.A.2.58. Virgin Mobile UK have got it so it's obviously been approved by Sony in the UK for at least the single-sim version (i.e. F8331).

Just a heads-up, as has been requested in the past.

Message 1 of 50
49 REPLIES 49

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
@jonsie
"I'm waiting for you to throw the Z4 Tablet northwards.......😉"

You not been on h4m today then? Lol
Message 41 of 50

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92912 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
@jonsie
"I'm waiting for you to throw the Z4 Tablet northwards.......😉"

You not been on h4m today then? Lol

H4M is still alive? Who knew  😮

Message 42 of 50

GUK
  • 50 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm running out of Pampers again this month. Vodafone, Virgin, and EE have got the May update (ending in 128, as opposed to 107). That only leaves O2 and Three, who traditionally have been extremely late to push any updates.

I'm off to buy an XL pack of nappies.

Message 43 of 50

GUK
  • 50 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I choose to believe that it's now rolling simply because of the above post wink

Thanks O2.

(although it doesn't work yet, with Xperia Companion or OTA, at least in the UK - posted 15:30 local time)

Message 44 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable

UK mobile networks have been historically notorious for sitting on firmware updates for months or sometimes not signing off on new firmware at all.

It's why I've bought my phone hardware SIM free for a number of years.

Message 45 of 50

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
No they haven't,
UK networks are above average for rolling out of firmwares, especially on Sony phones where they hit an above 70% on other customisations.
Message 46 of 50

GUK
  • 50 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It's not been released by Sony for very long, but it's happened again - O2 are the last UK network to not have the new build (ending in .184 as opposed to .171) with the September Android security updates. I'm excluding Three like I did last time, they're still on August's build and don't frequently update their users.

For anyone new, or anyone who has forgotten about my obsession, I know there's a process to go through for O2 before they release their build of the update, it's just that EE, Vodafone and Virgin all managed to do it a few days ago.

Getting an XZ3 (probably) in November and because the updates for that are guaranteed, you probably won't hear from me for a couple of years slight_smile

Message 47 of 50

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
The XZ3 updates still have to be tested by networks..
Message 48 of 50

GUK
  • 50 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yeah, I just meant I wouldn't have to wonder if O2 aren't planning to bother with an old(er) device any more. This, or possibly next month's update, will be the last for the XZ according to Sony's official press release a few months ago anyway - it's two years old now (well, it depends when they count from, obviously it was released in different coutries over a period of a couple of months).

Message 49 of 50

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Well it won't get software updates, but security updates might be treated differently
Message 50 of 50