cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network SIM Unlock Code Problem

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just cancelled my contract to go with Three and transferred my old number to new sim. I then found out my Samsung Galaxy S6 was locked to O2 network and needed a SIM network unlock code.

The first one I was emailed I tried but it kept coming up unsuccessful. I have spoken to at least 6 different agents who have all told me different things (which I have all saved).

I have been sent the same wrong code twice, been told samsung need to give me code, samsung are saying o2 need to give me code.

This is getting really out of hand as it is going on a lot longer than it should.

Can anyone help me out with getting this phone network free?

Thanks
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well if that is the case then o2 can deal with that side of things as this was not our error. We asked for a code, they gave it and it just comes up code unsuccesful. It doesn't say anything about the phone being frozen it just says on startup:

"SIM network PIN blocked. Enter SIM network PUK"

Which I then enter the 8 digit code o2 provide me with "twice" and it gives a return of:

"Network unlock request unsuccesful".

I also just spoke to Samsung regarding the MCK (defreeze) code and they say that the network provider (o2) has this.

Message 11 of 26

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144144 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
If it's asking for a PUK, you can get this under device details in your MyO2 http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2
A PUK is different and is sim related not phone related.
An unlocking code is usually more than 8 digits too.
If the sim is locked because of too many failed attempts, you need a new sim card from O2, unless it's not an O2 sim you have in the phone when you get this message, in which case, contact the network whose sim it is for the PUK or replacement sim.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
1. I don't have a Device Details because my contract is cancelled I think, all I can see is a Disconnected Bill
2. o2 told me PAC is for switching number over and PUK is for unlocking phone to make it network free.

I have tried my partners working Three sim in the phone and it comes up the same error. I also tried my three sim in his phone and it works fine so it is definetly the phone that is the problem not the sim card.
Message 13 of 26

MI5
  • 144144 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
No, a PUK does not unlock a phone, it unlocks a sim.
If you have entered a PUK it explains why it's locked out and why it will now never be unlocked.
Use the email evidence you have of this error by O2 to complain with and get your phone replaced as you have been given wrong info which has knackered your phone completely.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 14 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have sent an email to them stating all of this. The email I got basically gave you step by step for "unlatching" the network to allow other sims to work.

I spoke to a local mobile shop who quoted me £20 to unlock the phone and would take 30mins so I will probably just do that and make o2 foot the bill, or if possible then replace the phone.
Message 15 of 26

MI5
  • 144144 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I have sent an email to them stating all of this. The email I got basically gave you step by step for "unlatching" the network to allow other sims to work.

Then they wouldn't have given you a PUK:

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/unblock-your-phone

Unlocking:

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/unlocking-an-o2-mobile-to-use-on-a-different-network

Currently using:
Message 16 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

I went onto that link and put my number in and it gave me a different number to the emails. I tried that but again got the same message.

I went onto LIVE CHAT there and another adviser told me something completely different again. They said I need to contact THREE and get a PUK code from them.

Surely thats wrong and its the o2 phone thats causing the issue not the three sim.

UPDATE: Spoke to Three and he gave me a PUK for my sim but assured me the phone was locked to o2 and only they could unlock it. Again that is two companies telling me it is o2. He stated ask them to "manually" unlock the phone for you.

Message 17 of 26

MI5
  • 144144 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
It won't matter what number you enter now as the phone is hard locked after so many failed attempts.

Currently using:
Message 18 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
That is where the MCK code comes into play. Apparently that resets it according to Samsung so you can enter the code again. I have checked and this seems to be the case but o2 dont seem "educated" enough to help me on the matter.

Will try live chat... AGAIN
Message 19 of 26

MI5
  • 144144 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
I wouldn't hold out any hope for live chat knowing.
Have you asked Samsung?
Call 0330 SAMSUNG (726 7864).

Currently using:
Message 20 of 26