cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Mode Disabled - KitKat 4.4.2

Anonymous
Not applicable

This doesn't appear to have been covered for a while, but since there appears to be no real information concerning this anywhere that I can find I'm resurrecting the issue again.

I've recently updated from JB 4.3 to KK 4.4.2 and in "Network mode" the option to permanently lock on to either 2G or 3G has gone: it's 3G or nothing. I'm not concerned that it will automatically switch over to 2G if there's no 3G signal - I need the facilty to permanently switch my phone to 2G.

I spoke to a not particularly helpful person on "Live Chat" yesterday evening who clearly didn't have a clue what i was talking about, so where was his product knowledge and awareness? He simply ended up repeatedly saying I would be receiving an "update" which for his part was the end of the conversation., most likely prompted from his PC screen which didn't have any answers.

Now this is a known issue on the o2 network, and as far as I'm aware this does not affect any of the other networks and is regardless of the device used. I'm not concerned with workaround apps to access the testing menu to change the network mode in there as this is worse than inconvenient: what i want to know are o2 actually going to bother to fix this issue because at this point in time it appears apparently not.

If anyone from o2 will kindly provide an honest answer to this question it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks to those who care to respond,

Malc

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
It most certainly is good news and nice to know they are listening to us wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 21 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

The announcement refers to "2G only" whereas I'm more interested in "2G preferred". I'm hoping the latter will also be added.

Message 22 of 26

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

The announcement refers to "2G only" whereas I'm more interested in "2G preferred". 

Have we ever had that option ?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 23 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

Have we ever had that option ?

Yes. At the moment the "3G" option on the Moto G, for instance, is actually "3G preferred", it will fall back to 2G if 3G drops out totally.

Message 24 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

This image posted by someone else shows it:

medium.jpg

The menu is the "preferred" network mode, so adding the 2G option as in the picture (currently missing from the Moto G for instance) would be great.

Message 25 of 26

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Right, I'm with you now.... wink

Currently using:
Message 26 of 26