Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My phone is too cold

paulbacon
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Bit of an odd issue. Was out walking and noticed a black bar at the bottom of my screen. About half a centimetre and covered some of the icons up. Reboot didnt fix it.

Looked online and lots seem to have the issue and some suggested it appears when its a really cold day - which today is. Soon as i got home the bar started flickering, then turning grey then vanished. Guess as the phone heated up.

Anyone had this before? Ive had this phone in foreign countries where the temps were -20c and never had that issue before
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Edit: Its an Galaxy S7
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, could be the cold accelerating the problem but it definitely sounds like a fault to me, otherwise you would have thousands of people with the same problem.

I would get it checked out if I were you.

Message 3 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144203 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@paulbacon 

It's not unusual for electronics to do weird things when cold and the weather we are getting currently is a strange kind of cold.

Temps aren't all that low but it's very harsh.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 10

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Apparently -1 and feels like -8 where i am. Which would be out of the operating temps of the phone. Will see how it goes
Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5  Some countries are very cold all the time, Samsung sell phones all over the world and must be tested at extreme temps.

Also, imho - If it was a fault caused by cold weather you would see more of a problem than just a small part of the screen malfunction.

Message 6 of 10

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@Anonymous im certain its a temperature issue. Soon as i got into a warm house, literally within minutes the bar turned grey and then disappeared. This is similar to what others say online

It maybe a fault but it was temperature related.
Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@paulbacon  Hi paul, You said: "Ive had this phone in foreign countries where the temps were -20c and never had that issue before.

If the cold is now starting to accelerate a fault with your phone it will probably eventually fail completely.

I would get it checked out or replaced, also don't forget to backup any pics etc. 

Message 8 of 10

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Yea cheers i will backup stuff. Be a nice time to upgrade anyway if it does break

I have been in countries where it was -20 and even -30c but always tended to keep the phone in a thermal sock when not used, however yes never had the issue before.

Message 9 of 10

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Update - Happened again this morning, and although still abit chilling its within operating temperatures. Soon as i got into the works office, it went away.

So looks like something isnt quite right and will look at getting a new phone i think. Its 3 years old this one

Message 10 of 10