cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moto G5 software / security updates

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just noticed my phone is still running Android 7 & the security patch is dated 1 Jan 17.

I know the G5 is still awaiting the Oreo update but 7.1.1 was released a few months ago & several security patches have also been released. Never had an Android phone before, so how do I go about getting these updates.

I’ve tried settings & it says it’s up to date.. but I know it isn’t.. (I’ve searched Google before I came here)

Your help is appreciated! 

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Just call 202 from your o2 phone but for the shortest wait times you need to call at 8.00am.
Customer service won’t have a clue about software updates but can advise on you cancelling your contract under the change of mind policy.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 21 of 29

Cleoriff
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Best of luck @bridder wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 22 of 29

bridder
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the tip and good wishes. Just to be clear I'm only a Classic PAYG customer who bought a Like New mobile, so all I want to do is exercise my right to return it within the 14 days. If 8am is the best time to call them I'll have to leave it till Monday unless they are open over the weekend? It's still plenty within the 14 days on Monday.

I may try the 202 number tomorrow after 2pm when my shift ends, either way I'll let you know how I go on.

Many thanks,

John C.

Message 23 of 29

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
OK mate, it's 4445 for PAYG and yes, they are open over the weekend, but if you are calling to return the phone the 03 number may be the best one to call on.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 24 of 29

bridder
  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just a quick update, I got in touch with O2 on Friday the 27/7, they sent a jiffy bag out to me which arrived next day on the 28th. Straight into the bag and posted off, I'm still waiting for my refund but I've tracked the parcel and it was received by O2 so just waiting now.

Whilst on the phone to O2 I was put through to a technician who was sure that updates were the responsibility of the manufacturer, my understanding of this is that because it was an O2 variant, O2 have to rubber stamp and tweak the updates before release.

Another oddity that may have caused the issue, both my Brother and Sister-in-law have the Moto G5, my Sister-in-law even has the Sapphire Blue O2 version same that mine was, her's has been updated but is on the O2UK software channel, my Brothers which is sim free is on RETGB which is further up to date than my Sister-in-laws. Mine was RETEU and wouldn't download anything, leaving me on Jan 1st 2017 security update, all three mobiles were still on Android 7.0.

The mobile was really like new and would have been fine for me, it's a shame really. Ah well, just waiting for the refund now.

Thanks to all for helpful replies 🙂

John C.

Message 25 of 29

bridder
  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've received a follow up message to see how I got on with my refund, thanks @Marjo Just wanted to post in here so everyone can generally see, I got my refund after a short wait 🙂 Aside from the issues I had with the product (no updates available) I would rate my experience of dealing with O2 as very good.

Once again, thanks to the community for your help.

Message 26 of 29

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Good to hear @bridder! Thanks for the update on this thread, much appreciated. thumbsup

Message 27 of 29

WhereMyOreoTho
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My moto g5 updated to Oreo 8.1 today on the o2gb channel software.

Message 28 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

@WhereMyOreoTho wrote:

My moto g5 updated to Oreo 8.1 today on the o2gb channel software.

Better late than never...

Message 29 of 29