cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile wireless dilemma - help wanted please

Anonymous
Not applicable

I moved into rented accommodation recently. Previously I had Virgin Media and unlimited broadband. I have had a wake up call since then having obviously taken "unlimited" for granted. I hardly watch TV of an evening and tend to spend most of my time on my laptop spending about 4 hours on average per night on the internet reading email, social media and browsing etc. I don't download games or stream films.

I had purchased a new laptop because my Samsung tablet obviously didn't have a USB port and eagerly purchased a dongle on O2 on pay monthly when I moved thinking that was the way to go.  I got really confused with how many GBs I needed. I cracked on an ordered a dongle anyway figuring whatever GB it was would be enough for my needs. Suddeny up pops a message from O2...I had got through 80% of my monthly allowance and would have to wait a month before it kicked in again and that was literally 10 days into the allowance. In the meantime I sought advice from the O2 shop and they recommended a PAYG with the maximum GB I could, which wasn't cheap. However, it was a good standby whilst waiting for my allowance to come back.

That was all fine and dandy but I had quite got used to my Samsung tablet previously which I could comfortably use on the sofa. The big laptop doesn't quite cut it as I end up sitting at the dinner table as its so unwieldly, but as I am at a desk all day on a PC don't necessarily want to spend my evenings like that too! Problem now is I don't have a USB drive for the dongle so what do I do?

Having Googled this I saw something about smartphone tethering so you can use the wireless capabilities of your phone but again, will I get the same message about using my data allowance as I do with the dongle? Its a dilemma. Apologies for the overlong post but I thought if I give as much info as possible about what I want, someone could come up with a solution that is both economic and ideal for my circumstances. I can't afford to keep purchasing PAYG SIMs at £58 a pop!!

I noticed someone the other day had what looked like a non USB wireless dongle(?), a square shaped gadget looking like a large dongle without any wires which looks like a possible solution. However, O2 don't appear to have one of these. I am now also tied into a contract taken out recently (although would be happy to pay any reasonable penalty for coming out of it if I find the ideal solution.

(P.S. I don't want to get Sky or Virgin Media as I am only going to be in rented for about 8 months and most contracts are over a year. I also have to get landlords permission etc.)

Sandie

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
What you need to tell us is how much data you are using a month as this is the key to answering your question.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
What you need to tell us is how much data you are using a month as this is the key to answering your question.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh dear, you got me there because I am puzzled with this whole data allowance thing so have no idea. Can I calculate it in some way???

Message 3 of 5

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
How many gb was on the dongle you bought that you used 80% of in 10 days?

Currently using:
Message 4 of 5

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hi Sandi

Im having treat mnt for my neck and back because I was using my laptop on my lap  for several hours each evening. Lap refers to the type of top- Not where it should be used. a common mistake.

. I hope UR  on a proper chair and table each evening. If U start to get problems with neck or back go to a McTimoney Chiropractor . Very gentle, less frequent and probably cheaper than the other sort !!

Best Wishes

Message 5 of 5