cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Miss Sold UpGrade from 02

Anonymous
Not applicable

Order my new upgrade on 31st December, wasn't made aware that due to 02's "Green Policy" all upgreades do not come with a charger!  Although I can purchase a charger at a further cost.  How is that a "Green Policy"?

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143431 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
The idea is that you use one from a previous phone.
Many people have drawers full of old chargers lying around.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
  • 143431 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
The idea is that you use one from a previous phone.
Many people have drawers full of old chargers lying around.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Green policy is fine as long as it doesn't pose a health and safety risk.

Using old chargers isn't something I would be happy to recommend. That could be the route to accidents if people are using old chargers without checking compatibility or age..

I think it's a money saving exercise and most of us have said the same at some point @Anonymous

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 12

MI5
  • 143431 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Agreed. However it’s clearly stated that certain phones don’t come with chargers so cannot be construed as mis selling.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Agreed. However it’s clearly stated that certain phones don’t come with chargers so cannot be construed as mis selling.

That's absolutely true. No mis-selling...just money saving on the part of O2.

It's the option they give you to buy one should you need it which confirms they are looking for a bit more of your money....:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 12

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Interesting read this. My S8+ was an upgrade and came complete with a charger. So it's not 'all upgrades don't come with a charger' as the OP states but certain phones as MI5 indicated.

So you need to check which phones come with charger and which phones don't before purchasing.

Something I'll bear in mind if my next upgrade is with O2 as I doubt my present charger will work with another phone even if it's a Samsung.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 6 of 12

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Green policy or not I think it's a dangerous practice. No misselling and just designed as a money saver justified by describing it as green. With old chargers there is always possible problems caused by age itself and maybe damage caused to your new phone. Would O2 or the manufacturer stand by the warranty? 

Message 7 of 12

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Green policy or not I think it's a dangerous practice. No misselling and just designed as a money saver justified by describing it as green. With old chargers there is always possible problems caused by age itself and maybe damage caused to your new phone. Would O2 or the manufacturer stand by the warranty? 

I doubt it. They'd probably say you should have used the appropriate charger for the phone. A clear catch 22 situation. 

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 8 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Glory1 wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

I doubt it. They'd probably say you should have used the appropriate charger for the phone. A clear catch 22 situation. 

There is also a problem of old chargers causing damage to life and property. Believe me, that isn't a pretty sight. I have seen the affects twice in A/E. I wouldn't want to repeat it. Smiley Mad

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 12

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Glory1 wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

There is also a problem of old chargers causing damage to life and property. Believe me, that isn't a pretty sight. I have seen the affects twice in A/E. I wouldn't want to repeat it. Smiley Mad

Not forgetting too the cheap fake chargers available online! 

Message 10 of 12