Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Messenger displaying messages twice on S8

Jaxxmac
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Messenger has set itself up as my default messaging app. I'm fine with that but when it sends messages to a mobile number (SMS?) It displays them twice on my phone, they aren't sent twice however. Can anyone help me stop this please?
Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Maybe check you have the latest version of messenger or just delete and reinstall it?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Jaxxmac 

It's a known bug https://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook-bug-bounty/fixing-message-duplication-in-messenger-on-androi...

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

Jaxxmac
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I've seen that article but it implies they've fixed it which clearly isn't the case. I'm wondering if stopping messenger being the default app will stop it but can't figure out how to do it without 'messages' taking over in the same way.
Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Maybe check you have the latest version of messenger or just delete and reinstall it?

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have your Facebook notifications set to include sms 

Message 5 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Jaxxmac

I had exactly the same happen to me. Although it said messenger was up to date on my phone, I ignored that. Deleted the app and reinstalled it. It's never happened since

Best of luck with it.

PS Messenger on PC has been playing up a lot recently as well disappointed

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 8

Jaxxmac
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks, hadn't thought of that ad messenger has updated automatically but I did a re-install and so far it seems to be working.
Message 7 of 8

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Messanger has quite enough information about me without reading my text messages.

Message 8 of 8