cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lollipop for Samsung S3

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Apologies if this has been asked before (Coundn't find it when searching the forum), but I had read elsewhere that Lollipop will be made available for the Samsung S3.

Will O2 be issuing this, and is there an ETA by which time we can expect it?

Many thanks

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144065 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
It won't be by either O2 or Samsung.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23034 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3668 Solutions

The S3 is probably a phone generation too far back.

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/os/android-50-lollipop/22764/android-lollipop-release-date-samsung-htc...

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Given the lack of info/queries on the forum, I was coming to that conclusion.

I did a quick google today and there appears to be a number of sites showing how to get Lollipop on the S3.

I've never loaded custom ROM before, but may now give it a go if O2 won't be releasing an 'official' version.

Message 4 of 8

Bambino
  • 23034 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3668 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Given the lack of info/queries on the forum, I was coming to that conclusion.

I did a quick google today and there appears to be a number of sites showing how to get Lollipop on the S3.

I've never loaded custom ROM before, but may now give it a go if O2 won't be releasing an 'official' version.

@MI5 is your man for help with that. As a stopgap, if you're not 100% comfortable with loading custom ROM's (as I would be), you can play pretend if you like:

http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/14/google-now-launcher-gets-material-design/http%3A%2F2F20152F142F3Drss_truncated

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 144065 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

All ROM's have a different approach to installing them. You will also need a custom recovery on your phone, but as long as you follow the specific instructions for your chosen ROM you should be OK.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 8

jonsie
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

All ROM's have a different approach to installing them. You will also need a custom recovery on your phone, but as long as you follow the specific instructions for your chosen ROM you should be OK.

So your first test will be around the 4th February. ..

Message 7 of 8

Bambino
  • 23034 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3668 Solutions

@Anonymous this might be of interest to you:

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/579406/20150116/samsung-galaxy-s3-android-5-0-2.htm#.VLmZctWsVDY

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 8