Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lollipop for S5, now live!

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Lollipop, lollipop, where for art thou lollipop?

I am here, says Lollipop while standing atop a shiny Samsung Galaxy S5!

Okay enough of the ye olde talk – Lollipop means business. If you thought Jellybean was buttery smooth, then you’ve not seen what Lollipop can do. This is a major platform update and isn’t just a collection of minor bug fixes or anything like that… This is a full blown update – new eye candy, new & fresh menus, new features – all while keeping the system running smooth & fluid while keeping your battery life in check too. You can find out here what Lollipop can do > http://www.android.com/versions/lollipop-5-0/

The update is now live via KIES and should be live via OTA update towards the end of the week, so go grab it now and let us know your thoughts on the new update

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 218
217 REPLIES 217

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hi all,

As with all software updates both we and Samsung keep an eye on how you guys are getting on so please do keep your feedback coming and let us know what you love and maybe anything you’re not so keen on. That being said, we wanted to keep you updated on a couple of things.

Where’s the OTA update?
Samsung will be releasing an updated build of its S5 Lollipop 5.0 software to address some reports of “sluggish performance” that a small number of users have highlighted to them. During our testing of the software we experienced no such issues, hence why it was approved on our end for release. For anyone who is experiencing performance issues – sorry for any frustration caused, but we hope this new update should resolve the issue for you.

What about 5.0.1?

Samsung and Google agree what level of OS is required and Google will not allow a version that they know to have problems to be approved by them or released into the market. 5.0.1 was largely a ‘Nexus’ update to address some minor bugs or flaws; Google approved the use of 5.0 for S5 which means that any fixes in 5.0.1 are not mandatory for good operation.

When will we get the new software?
We are testing the new SW now and will complete our full set of tests and monitor for anything out of the ordinary. Once we approve the software, we’ll then send it back to Samsung who will schedule this for release to customers. All-in-all, we hope you’ll see this push at the beginning of February.

Anything I should do when upgrading?
When upgrading to major new platform releases, we would recommend backing up any important photos / videos / documents and doing a full factory reset before the update. Not doing this on any kind of handset – iOS, Android, Windows – could lead to problems so we’d always recommend starting from a clean slate for the best experience.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 101 of 218

swebby
Level 3: Thinker
  • 88 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous

Have you seen Torch under applications widgets?

Also sound off - ALL is available under interuptions available as Quick Setting Button of Notifition Panel.

I hope this helps 🙂

@Anonymous I'm glad you've sorted your problems and are experiencing the performance improvement as I have with 5.0 update 🙂  Are you now pleased you took the plunge?

S8+, Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Chromebook.
Message 102 of 218

swebby
Level 3: Thinker
  • 88 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous To change background for messages see Messages-Setting-Display-Background Style.  If default options aren't sufficient, you can use your own image file.  This could be a full screen of the blue colour to match the example you've shown.  There's also an option to use Volume Key to change font size when viewing messages.

I Hope this helps 🙂

S8+, Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Chromebook.
Message 103 of 218

Anonymous
Not applicable
An updated ota version is coming ???

So does this that my 5.0 that i got with kies will get an option to update again when it goes live @Chris_K ?
Message 104 of 218

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146975 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions
As long as your device status is "official" you will get all updates via either method.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 105 of 218

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I can't install Lollipop through Kies or via wifi.

Kies fails and says that the phone will not give it permission.

O2 Guru's tell me that it's not available and I'll just have to wait.....

Any ideas??

Message 106 of 218

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146975 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions
Have you got usb debugging checked in developer options?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 107 of 218

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to give my own update, since performing a factory reset and possibly finding the issue with location being on even though the notification panel shows it as turned off, battery drain has disapperared.  Put it this way, I charged the phone sunday night, have used the phone as normal and as I type still have 42% charge.

Not sure if its connected but I had Boat Browser installed and had an issue with scrolling, so have stopped using it.

Message 108 of 218

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is any one having the issue where the screen doesnt seem to be responsive, the buttons work and i can unlock the phone via fingerprint but the touch screen doesnt seem to recognise movement and i have to take the battery out to restart it.

Message 109 of 218

athgen1
  • 63 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

On my previous Galaxy S2 I used Solid Explorer to transfer files to and from the micro SD card. On my S5 I have to use USB to do the same job; Andriod's"beefed" up security.

Will the upgrade to 5.0 give me back the ability to use Solid Explore, or simlar, to transfer files to and from my S5?

Message 110 of 218