cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG Nexus 4 - iPhone Data Bolt On

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll clear some facts that have led to me looking for some help:

I've been with o2 going on 4 years now with the same contract that is now not available to get. It's an old iPhone simplicity 12 month contract that gives me 300 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited data for a lovely price of £15.40 per month. (Note I do get friends and family discount on the original price). The contract is SIM-ONLY and I pay for the phones that I have had in the past outright. Eg from Apple as a standalone phone unlocked. 

I have had 2 iPhones, the iPhone 3G and the iPhone 4S, both of which I have loved and had throughout the contract. I have now decided that it's time for a new phone - something other than an iPhone.

After doing some reviews and what not, I have decided that the Nexus 4 is a good choice for myself and have decided to do some more research. Now obviously as mentioned, the contract I'm on has an iPhone Bolt On for the data plan, I am aware (through talking to customer services) that the minutes and texts won't be affected, it's simply the data that poses an issue. Both the Nexus 4 and the iPhone 4s take Micro Sim cards, which means I won't need to change SIM, but the problem I have is that the data part of the tarriff may not work. I have yet to find anyone I know who has the Nexus 4 (either unlocked or locked to o2 to try it out on) so I was wondering if anyone had had any success at doing something similar to what I hope to achieve.

Quite clearly the tariff that I am on is amazing (hence why I haven't changed it in 4 years) and according to customer services if I wanted to change the bolt on to a standard bolt on, I would have to change the whole tariff - something that I clearly don't want to do.

The best deal I've been quoted is £20/month 300mins, unlimited texts, 1GB data and the phone for a one off fee of £100 (24 month). This to me, just doesn't seem worth it, especially if anyone knows if the iPhone bolt on would work with something such as the Nexus 4 or any other similar android smart phones that they could recommend.

I appreciate this is a big chunk of text but hope anyone can give me some advice on perhaps how to go about my situation without spending too much money from what I am already working with.  

Thanks for taking time to read,

Jordan

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Just ask CS to switch you to standard data. It won't affect your unlimited allowance.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

If you contact O2 they cancel the iPhone tariff and swap it for Pay Monthly tariff. The O2 system should detect you are using an Android telephone, however reset the phone AP settings.

The problem is it may be married to the iPhone details so it may be worth getting a sim-swap with the Pay Monthly sent to you.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I know which is pretty limited a Iphone bolt on needs to be changed if you are moving away from apple. 

There are some cracking sim only deals at the moment like 12 months unlimited calls and texts and 2GB of data for £25 which if you can get friends and family on would be unreal but you would need to buy the phone outright.

Message 3 of 7

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Also consider a SIM-only option with rolling contract, that way you are not tied down to a contract for a fixed amount of time and there is no contractual transfers. It will work out of the box so to speak.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 4 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Just ask CS to switch you to standard data. It won't affect your unlimited allowance.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 7

version7point0
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 648 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 181 Solutions
It may work: I'm currently on an iPhone data package and so far I have used it perfectly fine in a number of Android phones as well as WP7/8 without even needing to change my APN's.

Try your sim in a friends phone as a test.
Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I tried explaining this initially with them, I questioned why this wasn't a simple solution, and the senior supervisor stated that as it was an iPhone contract, it came with the iPhone bolt on, and to change it, would mean it wouldn't be a feasable contract, and so I would need to get a new one.

Is there anything I can say that perhaps would change their decision on that? I know that it's possible to do, just getting them to do it is different. 

Appreciate the help

Message 7 of 7