Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Motorola startac without sim port

Fabio1907
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi, I have a Motorola startac (believe TDMA) without the slide for a SIM. Does O2 support this phone?
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You mean CDMA and no uk networks will support it.
You need GSM for the UK and the vast majority of the world.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

In terms of repair then yes but you would be better getting a local mobile stall or shop to get one or fit one for you. 

Message 2 of 7

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You mean CDMA and no uk networks will support it.
You need GSM for the UK and the vast majority of the world.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Several networks in the US still use CDMA. Verizon (which claims to have the best coverage), and Sprint (who claim their network coverage is only 1% less than Verizon).

I had a Star Tac in the UK many moons ago. Apart from novelty value, I'm wondering why the OP would want to use it?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I'm pretty sure it is only the US that still has CDMA networks too - I'm not aware of any others?
It offers some interesting features over GSM but I guess it's like the old VHS vs Betamax situation....
Retro is fashionable these days too @Bambino wink

Currently using:
Message 5 of 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I'm sure you're right @MI5. Wish I had held onto my Star Tac. I'm pretty sure I still have my Motorola Razr packed away in a box somewhere. I loved that phone. That might come back as retro too.Dance

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Still got mine I had on Orange which took a credit card sized sim and (because I loved it) the one I had from Cellnet which took a micro sim.
They both still work although the Orange on doesn't have sms facility and you can only store 10 numbers, none of which identify a caller and although the Cellnet phone does have sms you can't send one from the phonebook so you have to type in the number each time you want to send a text, but that was cutting edge back in the mid 90's slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 7 of 7