cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Handset paid in full, requesting Bootloader Unlock code.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Greetings,

Having paid off the final payment on my o2 refresh, I now truly own my device and am wondering where I should ask for the Network/Bootloader unlock codes?

The device in question is a Sony Xperia Z1 and since upgrading to the Z5, I wish to repurpose the Z1 as a telephony free device, as the hardware inside is still good enough for gaming, wireless remote, etc...

That being said, in order to make the device more efficient for the reduced functionality, I need to be able to flash my own kernel, which is not possible with the bootloader unlock status set as no.

Hopefully one of you can point me in the right direction to acquiring my code.

Many thanks,

George

Message 1 of 27
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Unfortunately O2 won't unlock the bootloader for you even though the handset is paid for in full. You might be better contacting Sony.

To be honest xda developers support might be your best option.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/Will-O2-unlock-bootloaders/m-p/760525/...

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Unfortunately O2 won't unlock the bootloader for you even though the handset is paid for in full. You might be better contacting Sony.

To be honest xda developers support might be your best option.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/Will-O2-unlock-bootloaders/m-p/760525/...

Message 2 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

If that turns out to be the definitive answer, I'll return the Z5 and buy my handsets elsewhere from now on.

I'd like an official answer from an o2 staff member, but I appreciate your answer.

It's nothing that Sony or XDA can help with, as the bootloader is locked by the network and only they can provide the code to allow unlocking it.

I know that Orange UK provided someone with a network unlock code for his Z3 and it in turn allowed the bootloader to be unlocked.

Message 3 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

They will only repeat what jonsie said so I would take that answer as a afirmative Happy Dance

Message 4 of 27

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Sony hardlock the bootloader at o2's request.
It is never going to be unlocked
Message 5 of 27

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
No chance mate.
It's never gonna happen!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

You won't get your request in this lifetime 

Message 7 of 27

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
For any avoidance of doubt, it is O2 that refuses this, not Sony and even they can't unlock it for you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

O2 bloat ware at it again?

Message 10 of 27