cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC M8 - Android Marshmallow - Issue with Bluetooth contact sharing

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I've had an issue with bluetooth contact sharing between my HTC M8 and my Garmin 2599 satnav ever since upgrading to Marshmallow.

The contact sharing used to work correctly on lollipop (i.e. making/receiving calls displays the name rather than the number on the satnav, able to see lists of recent dialled/received calls, voice command dial by contact name etc).

A bit of googling around seems to indicate that this might be a widespread problem, affecting multiple handsets/manufacturers (https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/cf4IluJllRc possibly this bug: https://android.googlesource.com/platform/packages/apps/Bluetooth/+/040402464a9de72e6dfc7b8a287c8560... may be wrong though!)

Does anyone know if it is possible/likely that there might be a bugfix release for the HTC M8?

Or else is there a reasonably straightforward way to roll back to Lollipop?

Thanks,

Ben

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6971 Solutions

If it's a widespread problem then in all probability there will be an update but maybe this is one for @MI5 

Message 2 of 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23059 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

@Anonymous That's probably something you'd have to ask HTC support: http://www.htc.com/uk/support/

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 144290 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27655 Solutions
It's connected with SELinux being in permissive mode.
To get BT working properly it needs to be in enforcing mode but you will have to Google how to do it on an M8 as I don't own one.
There are apps but no recommendations as I am rooted and don't need them.
Your other option is to make sure you have your Nav listed as a trusted device.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I tried HTC support first, but the response was pretty shockingly poor.

(Can be mostly sumarised as "Bluetooth? We support these bluetooth profiles, it's the other devices fault, kthxbye.")

Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's just the stock non-rooted O2 marshmallow image (only ever had normal OTA updates), so I'd assume that SELinux would default to enforcing, and not be alterable to permissive without rooting?

The rest of the bluetooth stuff tends to work ok (although now I'm thinking I'll need to check through them all again).

Seems pretty crazy that usage of a basic feature would require rooting the phone?

The list of trusted devices only seems to be related to the lock screen - anyway, will test it once I'm in the car and see if i can set it to trusted once it's paired/connected/active.

Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 144290 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27655 Solutions
Yeah you need to be paired first - I couldn't remember if you need root to change it or not tbh......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 7