Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Android

Highlighted
Anonymous

HTC Desire access to the Cloud and BT Openzone

I'm guessing you're running froyo as I don't have the option to enter a manual setting for UAstring when I do the about:debug trick: I just get a choice of android, desktop or iPhone.

Yeah, sorry - should have mentioned that, never ocurred to me that the 2.1 stock browser didn't suppply the option (shame Dolphin doesn't either).
I de-branded my O2 phone and installed a base HTC 2.1 android before updating to 2.2 (following instructions from another thread on here). I'm not rooted though.
I appreciate that this option isn't necessarily for everyone though.
What I find abhorrent is that O2 are selling a Simplicity for Smartphone tariff: it should work in whatever smartphone the customer wants to use it in. I expect this to be a problem for all new handsets as they become available

Agreed - I was almost tempted to contact Offcomm (would this count as mis-selling, I don't know?)
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Success (for froyo only apparently)

Ok, I've managed for the first time since having the phone to connect via Openzone. Here's what I did....
Using the info supplied by andy2010 on page 5 (many thanks for this), I discovered that my user agent string was like his that didn't work.
So I:
1) Opened stock browser
2) In the address bar entered "about:debug" and hit enter. (This doesn't at first appear to do anything obvious, but in fact allows some extra options in the menu)
3) Press Menu -> More -> Settings then selected the (newly available) UAstring option
4) Select Manual, then enter the text as per andy2010's working settings "Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; HTC_Desire Build/ERE27)" - I imagine that not all of this is necessary, probably just the "HTC_Desire Build/ERE27" bit but not tested that theory!
5) Without quitting the browser (I believe these settings reset if the session is restarted) tried to go to any web site - this brought up the Openzone login page
6) Click on the O2 user button and entered my phone number
7) That's it (the login seemed to fail/timeout but when then trying to go to other web pages it worked)
This resulted in Openzone working for everything - stock browser, email client, Dolphin, Maps etc etc.
What I don't know (and haven't tried) is whether this will all need doing each time I connect or if that's it. I suspect I won't need to and that now my handset is registered that's it, job done. Smiley Very Happy
I hope this makes sense and helps some people...
PS
Having already tried numerous times in the past to login, I did have to go to the O2 website form to reset my Openzone access first (for some reason texting wifi to 2121 didn't do it)
(edited to updated title as only appears to work on froyo)

Got to stage 6 and then it hung, but then didn't work. Tried getting back to it but only get the standard o2 /openzone screen.

Me thinks UA string definitely has a part to play
Highlighted
Anonymous

How to reset your userAgent string

I don't know whether this cures the problem with BT Openzone (I'll give it a go tomorrow) but doing this changed the userAgent string to the same value as the phone that worked. Before you go through this procedure, please read these warnings:

Warning: doing this loses all the apps you've installed (I lost beebplayer as it's not available on the market anymore) so you have to reinstall them.

Warning: doing this loses a lot of settings but does keep some. For example, you have to reenter your gmail account details.

Warning: I lost all the text messages that I've received and sent although in a previous factory reset I didn't. I also lost the call history.

Warning: doing this loses any links you've set up between contacts from different sources in the people app.

None of that's the end of the world: it didn't take me long to put things back to the way they were (the market seems to remember what apps you've download previously when you click on "Download").

Anyway, here's the process (please read all the way through first):

* power down phone
* remove SIM
* power on
* go to settings->privacy->Factory data reset
* follow the prompts to do the factory reset
* when the phone comes back up and is usable, register with your Wifi router so you've got a network connection (ie as the SIM isn't in the phone, you're not using the mobile network)
* use the stock browser and browse to http://igx.net/whatami.html to check the userAgent and appVersion are now set to:

appVersion: 5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; HTC_Desire
Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile
Safari/530.17
userAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb;
HTC_Desire Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko)
Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

* power down the phone
* insert SIM
* power up the phone
* use the stock browser and browse to http://igx.net/whatami.html
* confirm userAgent is still set as above

I did visit a BT Openzone hotspot having done that and the first page displayed was the same page that the phone that worked displayed! However, when I entered my phone number on the relevant page, it said that I already had another device registered (I'm guessing the other phone). So I've done a wifi reset so hope that'll get me access tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Highlighted
Anonymous

So I figured is try again when I got home. Got to star 6, got a page saying registration takes up to two mins and boom, I'm in and surfing on openzone.

This uastring. Worked:

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; HTC_Desire Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

I got this page when I tried to load my browser

https://my.btopenzone.com/welcomewifi/index.php

Then this that seems to process registration

https://my.btopenzone.com/o2smartphoneUserRegistration/

And finally this one

Seemed to be the middle reg page that did the business, maybe save that and try it directly, it's openzone so might work for you too
Highlighted
Anonymous

and this morning with my original HTC Desire reset as per the instructions I last posted, I was able to get connected to BT Openzone!
Highlighted
Anonymous

And if I factory reset the other Desire that was working with my SIM in, it gets the "wrong" UAstring!

No wonder it's hit or miss whether BT Openzone works: it depends on how you first powered it up when you received it! Given my experience, with a SIM, it won't work, without it, it will.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Well they've nearly had a month to fix it and got nowhere themselves. Will be writing to end my contract next week unless they can act on this UserAgent thing quickly and offer a credit for the months that it has not been working.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: HTC Desire access to the Cloud and BT Openzone

I'm now getting a text once a week saying "We are still investigating the fault you reported. We will update you when we have further information."
I still can't access BT Openzone.
Highlighted
Anonymous

I still can't access BT Openzone either.
With this UA string:
"Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; HTC_Desire Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17"
The standard registration page freeze, then says cannot communicate with server.
For me, the "https://my.btopenzone.com/welcomewifi/index.php" link did work, but gave me an authentication error. Now I get an error message saying "too many server redirects".
It seems to be happy if I switch the UAstring to "iPhone", but then I get a message that I'm on the wrong contract. Could always switch to an iPhone contract with the Desire UAstring set to "iPhone" if they can't fix the problem I suppose.
Highlighted
Anonymous

I have for the 1st time tried to log onto BT Openzone
The 1st page i get is username & password & buying options on BT homepage Smiley Indifferent
I contacted O2 & was given my username & password & a link to O2 webpage
to change my password to something i can remember
Is this normal or have i been given the wrong info :robotindifferent: