Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Android

Highlighted
Anonymous

HTC Desire access to the Cloud and BT Openzone

> ...and do you just get a sort of "unrecognised number" error if you try to put your HTC Desire phone number in?

I've had two different symptoms.

In the past (before last week), it's refreshed the web page where you enter your phone number immediately with a message saying "Unable to complete login call. Please try again".

More recently (eg today), it just hung. Eventually I get a popup saying "The server failed to communicate. Try again later." I hit OK and then a web page saying:

"Web page not available
The Web page at https://www.btopenzone.com:8443/otwoLogon might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address."

is displayed.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Any more news on this O2 ????
My contract switches over to internet on 1st of September & if this is still a
problem i'm going to cancel :robotmad:
Highlighted
Anonymous

Friday afternoon I was called to say they thought they'd fixed this problem and to re-test it.

On Friday evening I was with my other half who also has an HTC Desire and the same O2 contract with bolt-on as I do.

His phone detected the BTOpenzone network and connected happily, no log-in screen.

In the same location I got the log in screen, entered my number and it hung before failing, just as andy describes in a previous post.

I deleted the hotspot and reconnected and it still didn't work.

4 people from O2 have called, asking the same questions over and over.
Highlighted
Anonymous

I've tried another HTC Desire and BT Openzone works from that! The web pages displayed are different from those displayed with my Desire. The ones that work look more mobile oriented. Apart from some BT Openzone headers, the first page displayed is very minimalist and has two buttons on: one for O2 and one for BT Openzone. It's as if the hotspot has recognised that this new HTC Desire is an O2 handset. When I press the O2 button, a web page asking for my phone number is displayed: it's different from the one that's displayed on my phone.

With my HTC Desire, I get a BT Openzone login page which looks more oriented towards a proper laptop. And I have to select my provider from a selection box and then a web page asking for my phone number is displayed. That then hangs when I enter it.

I'm going to try setting up my phone like the one that works. If that fails, I'm going to reset back to factory settings and hope that works!

Given you've got access to two Desires, one that works, one that doesn't, perhaps you could compare settings? And apps installed? Or even you could try each other's phone numbers when accessing BT Openzone? (obviously, you'd need to reset wifi by sending wifi to 2121).

--
Rgds, Andy
Highlighted
Anonymous

I've visited a browser detection site (http://igx.net/whatami.html) on both phones and the appVersion and userAgent strings are different:

My phone that doesn't work:

appVersion: 5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; Desire_A8181 Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17
userAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; Desire_A8181 Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

The other phone that does work:

appVersion: 5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; HTC_Desire Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17
userAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; HTC_Desire Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

Notice mine that doesn't work says "Desire_A8181 Build/ERE27" whereas the other that works says "HTC_Desire Build/ERE27". Subtly different.

I wonder what other people's that fail say.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Saying that there is noone else with this issue is rubbish. I've rung them a number of times and at the moment still waiting for the smartphone team to ring me back with a response. Can you post who you are dealing with so that I can get through to the right person? O2 customer service just seems to be a complete shambles on this, half the people I've talked to don't even seem to understand what the wifi service is and tried to fob me off by saying I could use the ones in McDonalds!
Highlighted
Anonymous

I have just gone onto the browser web site as per andy2010.
My phone has the same settings as the one that works.
Will give it a try in town tomorrow.
Bought my phone online from O2 on 13/05 if this is of any help.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Have been told my phone should now work, but it doesn't. Definitely not on openzone but I've found a cloud point not far from me and am going to try that.

My useragent is Desire_18181 Build/FRF91 though, maybe that's a factor. Back on it with o2 though, could be happier.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Success (for froyo only apparently)

Ok, I've managed for the first time since having the phone to connect via Openzone. Here's what I did....

Using the info supplied by andy2010 on page 5 (many thanks for this), I discovered that my user agent string was like his that didn't work.
So I:
1) Opened stock browser
2) In the address bar entered "about:debug" and hit enter. (This doesn't at first appear to do anything obvious, but in fact allows some extra options in the menu)
3) Press Menu -> More -> Settings then selected the (newly available) UAstring option
4) Select Manual, then enter the text as per andy2010's working settings "Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; HTC_Desire Build/ERE27)" - I imagine that not all of this is necessary, probably just the "HTC_Desire Build/ERE27" bit but not tested that theory!
5) Without quitting the browser (I believe these settings reset if the session is restarted) tried to go to any web site - this brought up the Openzone login page
6) Click on the O2 user button and entered my phone number
7) That's it (the login seemed to fail/timeout but when then trying to go to other web pages it worked)

This resulted in Openzone working for everything - stock browser, email client, Dolphin, Maps etc etc.
What I don't know (and haven't tried) is whether this will all need doing each time I connect or if that's it. I suspect I won't need to and that now my handset is registered that's it, job done. Smiley Very Happy

I hope this makes sense and helps some people...

PS
Having already tried numerous times in the past to login, I did have to go to the O2 website form to reset my Openzone access first (for some reason texting wifi to 2121 didn't do it)

(edited to updated title as only appears to work on froyo)
Highlighted
Anonymous

pompeyfan, I'm guessing you're running froyo as I don't have the option to enter a manual setting for UAstring when I do the about:debug trick: I just get a choice of android, desktop or iPhone.

How I wish that I could enter the correct UAstring! FWIW I tried setting to iPhone and although I got similar pages to the Desire that worked, when I entered my phone number, the website said it wasn't available on my tariff (or some such).

What I find abhorrent is that O2 are selling a Simplicity for Smartphone tariff: it should work in whatever smartphone the customer wants to use it in. I expect this to be a problem for all new handsets as they become available.