on 18-08-2010 14:46
I've had two different symptoms.
In the past (before last week), it's refreshed the web page where you enter your phone number immediately with a message saying "Unable to complete login call. Please try again".
More recently (eg today), it just hung. Eventually I get a popup saying "The server failed to communicate. Try again later." I hit OK and then a web page saying:
"Web page not available
The Web page at https://www.btopenzone.com:8443/otwoLogon might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address."
on 22-08-2010 22:39
On Friday evening I was with my other half who also has an HTC Desire and the same O2 contract with bolt-on as I do.
His phone detected the BTOpenzone network and connected happily, no log-in screen.
In the same location I got the log in screen, entered my number and it hung before failing, just as andy describes in a previous post.
I deleted the hotspot and reconnected and it still didn't work.
4 people from O2 have called, asking the same questions over and over.
on 23-08-2010 20:33
With my HTC Desire, I get a BT Openzone login page which looks more oriented towards a proper laptop. And I have to select my provider from a selection box and then a web page asking for my phone number is displayed. That then hangs when I enter it.
I'm going to try setting up my phone like the one that works. If that fails, I'm going to reset back to factory settings and hope that works!
Given you've got access to two Desires, one that works, one that doesn't, perhaps you could compare settings? And apps installed? Or even you could try each other's phone numbers when accessing BT Openzone? (obviously, you'd need to reset wifi by sending wifi to 2121).
on 24-08-2010 09:04
My phone that doesn't work:
appVersion: 5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; Desire_A8181 Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17
userAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; Desire_A8181 Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17
The other phone that does work:
appVersion: 5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; HTC_Desire Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17
userAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; HTC_Desire Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17
Notice mine that doesn't work says "Desire_A8181 Build/ERE27" whereas the other that works says "HTC_Desire Build/ERE27". Subtly different.
I wonder what other people's that fail say.
on 24-08-2010 12:38
on 24-08-2010 17:35
My phone has the same settings as the one that works.
Will give it a try in town tomorrow.
Bought my phone online from O2 on 13/05 if this is of any help.
on 25-08-2010 12:11
My useragent is Desire_18181 Build/FRF91 though, maybe that's a factor. Back on it with o2 though, could be happier.
on 25-08-2010 13:17
Using the info supplied by andy2010 on page 5 (many thanks for this), I discovered that my user agent string was like his that didn't work.
1) Opened stock browser
2) In the address bar entered "about:debug" and hit enter. (This doesn't at first appear to do anything obvious, but in fact allows some extra options in the menu)
3) Press Menu -> More -> Settings then selected the (newly available) UAstring option
4) Select Manual, then enter the text as per andy2010's working settings "Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; HTC_Desire Build/ERE27)" - I imagine that not all of this is necessary, probably just the "HTC_Desire Build/ERE27" bit but not tested that theory!
5) Without quitting the browser (I believe these settings reset if the session is restarted) tried to go to any web site - this brought up the Openzone login page
6) Click on the O2 user button and entered my phone number
7) That's it (the login seemed to fail/timeout but when then trying to go to other web pages it worked)
This resulted in Openzone working for everything - stock browser, email client, Dolphin, Maps etc etc.
What I don't know (and haven't tried) is whether this will all need doing each time I connect or if that's it. I suspect I won't need to and that now my handset is registered that's it, job done.
I hope this makes sense and helps some people...
Having already tried numerous times in the past to login, I did have to go to the O2 website form to reset my Openzone access first (for some reason texting wifi to 2121 didn't do it)
(edited to updated title as only appears to work on froyo)
on 25-08-2010 14:09
How I wish that I could enter the correct UAstring! FWIW I tried setting to iPhone and although I got similar pages to the Desire that worked, when I entered my phone number, the website said it wasn't available on my tariff (or some such).
What I find abhorrent is that O2 are selling a Simplicity for Smartphone tariff: it should work in whatever smartphone the customer wants to use it in. I expect this to be a problem for all new handsets as they become available.