Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Android

Anonymous

Re: HTC Desire access to the Cloud and BT Openzone

Thanks to the help here I've managed to get my Nexus One (Andriod 2.3) to connect to my local Openzone access point.
Couldn't hack the standard browser or Dolphin so installed Firefox and entered the UAString provided on here and after a few attemps at connection was online.
Customer service was non existent and weren't interested at all.
Dave
Level 70: Enigma

You're very lucky then. I'm still waiting for this momentous announcement that, according to gw4frx, O2 were meant to be publishing in the forum. That message was posted nearly two weeks ago and since then there's been nothing.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Anonymous

>That message was posted nearly two weeks ago and since then there's been nothing.<
Which is rather disappointing. I wrote that in good faith following extensive conversations with a gentleman at O2 who I believe has now left the company. My understanding was that he would write something for the forum before leaving.
The bottom line is that changing the UA string along the lines discussed here previously should now give seamless BT Openzone and The Cloud access to all users of the HTC Desire whose tariffs include it.

I'm sure you did write it in good faith and it wasn't a criticism of you, but of O2 CS. Is it at all possible for you to point me to the page in this thread that has the changes to the UA string? Do you know if there is an explanation as to how to go about it? Thanks in advance.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Anonymous

>Is it at all possible for you to point me to the page in this thread that has the changes to the UA string?<
The post by pompeyfan on page 6 lists the changes. The problem was that they didn't work for everyone, apparently for complicated reasons involving both O2 and BT Openzone's back-office software. Amongst other things this apparently caused some users to end up on an old Openzone landing page which didn't work.
Quite how -- or whether -- O2 now intends to address the issue formally isn't clear. In my view they certainly should, given that it took three months of correspondence culminating in the threat of legal proceedings and an OTELO reference to get them to address the issue in the first place.

Many thanks for that. I'm not all that tech savvy, and I'm doubtful as to whether I'll be able to sort it this way, but I'll have a go. If I'm successful I'll post it in this thread. I, nor anyone else who is supposed to have this option available to them, shouldn't have to jump through all these hoops to get this to work. It's a service I thought I was entitled to, but have never been able to access it. Very shoddy of O2 to have let this go for so long without resolving it.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Anonymous

HTC Desire access to the Cloud and BT Openzone

Thanks for confirming me! I've never accessed the BT Openzone previously from any device. I did have the SIM card in a previous phone though.

Well I give up. I don't know how to change the UA String and I can't see it anywhere on my phone. Even if I could find it I doubt it would make much difference. I went to the whatami page and it is showing that I have the 'bad' configuration. How to change that is a total mystery to me. Not only that, why should I even have to be doing this? This is something that O2 should be advising its customers about, as they are supposed to be supplying the service.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Anonymous

Is there anymore news on this?
Can currently use The Cloud but no joy with any BT Openzone. Put a couple of calls into O2, the first person didn't even know the basics of the openzone website and told me that their phone didn't work either, the second reset my MAC address and assured me that would correct the problem... But it didn't.
The most annoying thing is that no one is prepared to tell me if I'm entitled to openzone or not. Seems like a basic lack of training.
The section on the O2 website for the wifi bolt on now only seems to mention The Cloud specifically, so perhaps that answers the question?
Anonymous

I have recently raised this issue with o2, I was sold my contract recently with the knowledge I would have Openzone access as one of the selling points for me.
I feel like I have batted my head against a brick wall trying to speak to o2 about this, but finally have someone looking into it that appears to understand the problem I have explained. I am currently still awaiting a response.
Has anyone else got any further with this?