cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Desire access to the Cloud and BT Openzone

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've got the unlimited data bolt on giving me access to Cloud and BT Openzone access points but I cannot get them to work. What's the secret of getting access? Customer service can't sort it out. For example, when I'm within range of the Cloud, the Desire connects the Wifi to it OK but when I browse to a web page, I get a Cloud landing page. I press the O2 customer button which takes me to a page where I enter my mobile phone number. After a while, the page comes back saying:

Sorry you are unable to register more devices to your Wireless LAN service. If you get this message again please contact O2 Customer Service on the number on your O2 bill. If you are an O2 Mobile Broadband customer, please ensure you have entered the mobile phone number we supplied with your USB modem. You will find this on your Mobile Broadband bill.

Well, I've contacted Customer service untold number of times and they keep resetting my MAC but to no avail. I've reset my MAC myself by sending wifi to 2121 many times as well. Still I get the message about being unable to register more devices.

So has anyone managed to connect to the Cloud and browse the web successfully? And BT Openzone? If so, what's the secret?
Message 1 of 153
152 REPLIES 152

Anonymous
Not applicable
This just in from one Nazish Khan of Business Customer Services:
"I'm sorry but the unlimited Wi-Fi on The cloud or BT Openzone is applicable for our iPhone customers. This is the reason you're unable to access Wi-Fi on your HTC Desire on these hotspots. You can only connect your phone to your business Wi-Fi."
Creative and amusing suggestions as to how best to respond will be much appreciated.
--
John
Message 121 of 153

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh, they're trying that one are they? I assume that came back from O2 email support: when I last used that, it wasn't useful at all: they kept telling me to call O2 customer phone support.
Even when I called O2 customer support, I've had some people tell me that but others say it should work. Given you've been told that it should work by others, I'd just ignore it and continue with your complaint to the CEO.
--
Andy
Message 122 of 153

Anonymous
Not applicable
>Oh, they're trying that one are they? I assume that came back from O2 email support: when I last used that, it wasn't useful at all: they kept telling me to call O2 customer phone support.<
Hmm. Even by the generally poor customer-facing standards of contemporary large multinationals I'm beginning to think that O2 are in a class of their own for sheer ineptitude.
>Given you've been told that it should work by others, I'd just ignore it and continue with your complaint to the CEO.<
Watch this space...
--
John
Message 123 of 153

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, here's a thing. This just in from O2 Customer Service:
"I'm sorry for the incorrect response given to you previously. I've now arranged to reset the Wi-Fi Mac address on your account. You'll be able to use the Wi-Fi with Cloud and BT Openzone on your HTC, within the next one hour."
If only all these problems could be solved by merely resetting a MAC address! I've replied by saying that a) there's more to it than that and b) multiple MAC address resets have been performed and they achieve nothing.
I managed to speak to someone at The Cloud this morning. Apparently the root cause of my particular lack of access is that the associated "tariff code" supplied by O2 incorrectly indicates that the handset is a Palm Pre. Interestingly, the discrepancy between the type of handset shown on the screen and my actual handset was picked up by staff members in two O2 shops when I was attempting to resolve the problem. They were advised at the time by O2 that this was not significant.
Presumably a Cloud hot-spot expects to see the correct handset type in its UA string before it will grant access.
--
John
Message 124 of 153

Anonymous
Not applicable
If the Cloud thinks you've got a Palm Pre, then I wouldn't be surprised if BT Openzone do too and thus could be causing the "not on your tariff" message you get from them when you set the UAString.
If you haven't already done so, it's got to be worth a punt at trying to get O2 to change your phone type to the correct one. At least that way you've eliminated something else!
--
Andy
Message 125 of 153

Anonymous
Not applicable
>If the Cloud thinks you've got a Palm Pre, then I wouldn't be surprised if BT Openzone do too and thus could be causing the "not on your tariff" message you get from them when you set the UAString.<
Indeed. I had a call from O2 this afternoon advising me that they'd disconnected and re-provisioned the account and asking me to try again. Unfortunately that took me a step backwards, insofar as I kept arriving at the ordinary Openzone landing page instead of the one with the blue O2 icon. Attempts to access The Cloud also failed with the usual error message. I did try adding Palm Pre to the UA string but that didn't help, probably because the MAC address of the Desire doesn't correspond.
>If you haven't already done so, it's got to be worth a punt at trying to get O2 to change your phone type to the correct one. At least that way you've eliminated something else!<
I'm bombarding them with e-mails along those lines but haven't yet had anything other than automated replies.
--
John
Message 126 of 153

Bambino
Level 71: Golden Child
  • 17747 Posts
  • 857 Topics
  • 1806 Solutions
I've been following this thread since it began, and every time I read a new post it astounds me more and more. For O2 to be letting this issue go unresolved is inexcusable. O2 should be sorting this out with BT and The Cloud and a solution to this should be posted on the O2 website. It's all well and good to be talking about resetting UAStrings, but what about customers who aren't tech savvy or brave enough to go messing about with their phones? If our contracts say that accessing Openzone and The Cloud are provided, then that's what O2 should be doing. We shouldn't have to be resetting UAStrings on the advice of another customer who is kind enough to post an answer here. What if the post is wrong and people wind up with bricked phones? If settings need to be changed, O2 should be providing us with those changes.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 127 of 153

Anonymous
Not applicable
>I've been following this thread since it began, and every time I read a new post it astounds me more and more. For O2 to be letting this issue go unresolved is inexcusable. O2 should be sorting this out with BT and The Cloud and a solution to this should be posted on the O2 website.<
I couldn't agree more.
>It's all well and good to be talking about resetting UAStrings, but what about customers who aren't tech savvy or brave enough to go messing about with their phones? If our contracts say that accessing Openzone and The Cloud are provided, then that's what O2 should be doing. We shouldn't have to be resetting UAStrings on the advice of another customer who is kind enough to post an answer here. What if the post is wrong and people wind up with bricked phones? If settings need to be changed, O2 should be providing us with those changes.<
Well, I certainly have better things to do than messing about with my handset. But this sort of thing vexes me enough to want to do something about it. I have written to the CEO of O2 expressing very similar sentiments and pointing out inter alia that failure to provide the advertised service constitutes a straightforward breach of UK consumer law. So far I've received nothing except a series of automated replies. But as an erstwhile journalist I dare say that the likes of The Sunday Times might be persuaded to take an interest if all else fails.
--
John
Message 128 of 153

Anonymous
Not applicable
> took me a step backwards
I've heard that the UAString reverts back to default after a period so that might be the cause of that. You can check that on http://igx.net/whatami.html.
--
Andy
Message 129 of 153

Anonymous
Not applicable
>I've heard that the UAString reverts back to default after a period so that might be the cause of that. You can check that on http://igx.net/whatami.html.
It doesn't seem to. I checked it this afternoon and it had remained as it was after changing it the other day before trying to gain access to Openzone. I also messed about with it whilst trying to emulate a Palm Pre.
--
John
Message 130 of 153