cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Desire access to the Cloud and BT Openzone

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've got the unlimited data bolt on giving me access to Cloud and BT Openzone access points but I cannot get them to work. What's the secret of getting access? Customer service can't sort it out. For example, when I'm within range of the Cloud, the Desire connects the Wifi to it OK but when I browse to a web page, I get a Cloud landing page. I press the O2 customer button which takes me to a page where I enter my mobile phone number. After a while, the page comes back saying:

Sorry you are unable to register more devices to your Wireless LAN service. If you get this message again please contact O2 Customer Service on the number on your O2 bill. If you are an O2 Mobile Broadband customer, please ensure you have entered the mobile phone number we supplied with your USB modem. You will find this on your Mobile Broadband bill.

Well, I've contacted Customer service untold number of times and they keep resetting my MAC but to no avail. I've reset my MAC myself by sending wifi to 2121 many times as well. Still I get the message about being unable to register more devices.

So has anyone managed to connect to the Cloud and browse the web successfully? And BT Openzone? If so, what's the secret?
Message 1 of 153
152 REPLIES 152

Anonymous
Not applicable
There's a workaround in this thread to access BT Openzone - you have to set the UserAgentString (see p5 and p6 of this thread). I know you shouldn't have to do that but it works for me.
I, like you, believe that you shouldn't have to jump through these hoops to get this to work: the tariff should do what it says on the tin and it shouldn't matter what smartphone you have - Simplicity for Smartphone should be just that!
--
Andy
Message 111 of 153

Anonymous
Not applicable
>There's a workaround in this thread to access BT Openzone - you have to set the UserAgentString (see p5 and p6 of this thread). I know you shouldn't have to do that but it works for me.<
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I tried that and it doesn't work for me 😞 The logon still stalls on the landing page.
Does anyone know how long it takes The Cloud to respond to a request for help? I e-mailed yesterday outlining the circumstances and their web site said that a support ticket number would be automatically issued but I haven't seen anything yet.
I've now written to the O2 Complaint Review Service and also to the Houghton Regis correspondence address. I've stated that I shall formally refer the matter to OTELO if it hasn't been resolved before 14 January and may also consider issuing legal proceedings for misrepresentation.
--
John
Message 112 of 153

Anonymous
Not applicable
IIRC the Cloud took a few days to respond initially and I think the info they need is documented in this thread (O2 phone number, MAC address, may be something else). I think it took 3 or 4 round trips of messages to get the Cloud sorted for me: I think it took around a week or so from raising the ticket to getting it fixed. Given the time of year and the preponderance of bank holidays, it wouldn't surprise me if you don't get the initial response until Tuesday at the earliest and then it take until the end of the following week to get the Cloud working.
Given the UAString workaround has worked for others with BT Openzone, I'm surprised it didn't work for you. Did you clear the browser's cookies etc before making the attempt? I was surprised to get a completely different landing page from BT Openzone's pages displayed: it was O2 branded (I didn't have to say I was an O2 customer). One of the other things that customer services suggested on numerous occasions was to power the phone off and on whilst in the vicinity of the hotspot.
One of the other things I learnt from my experience is that you need to ensure that your account has been provisioned properly for BT Openzone and The Cloud: if nothing else, it's worth asking that question of customer services. As it happens, mine was: it was the UAString that was the problem for me.
--
Andy
Message 113 of 153

Anonymous
Not applicable
>Given the UAString workaround has worked for others with BT Openzone, I'm surprised it didn't work for you. Did you clear the browser's cookies etc before making the attempt?<
Yes indeed -- in fact I did a complete factory reset beforehand and followed the workaround instructions assiduously but couldn't get past the ordinary landing page. I haven't tried powering off and on again near a hotspot though. Perhaps I should have waited until Venus was trine Neptune on the ascendant, or sacrificed a white chicken at dawn slight_smile
>One of the other things I learnt from my experience is that you need to ensure that your account has been provisioned properly for BT Openzone and The Cloud: if nothing else, it's worth asking that question of customer services.<
Many thanks for the thought. I've just checked that now and mirabile dictu managed to speak to someone vaguely technical. He confirmed that it was correctly provisioned and also filled in some species of form asking for details of hotspot locations, dates and the handset MAC address. So we'll see if that goes anywhere. I've just fired off a bolshie e-mail to the O2 "helpdesk" as well.
--
John
Message 114 of 153

Anonymous
Not applicable
>Given the UAString workaround has worked for others with BT Openzone, I'm surprised it didn't work for you.<
Looking at the appVersion browser string again this evening it's reverted to something which from memory isn't quite the same as it was originally, namely:
5.0 (Linux;U;Android 2.2;en-gb;Desire_A8181 Build/FRF91)AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1
This seems to be slightly different from that reported by others on here and I'm a little reluctant to try again in case it bricks the thing -- unless anyone knows better?
--
John
Message 115 of 153

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's the default UAString for the Android 2.2/froyo build. I doubt O2/BT Openzone have updated their supported UAStrings to that and still only support the UAString sent by the previous version (Android 2.1). Changing the UAString shouldn't brick the thing but I cannot guarantee that: you're only changing a string that's sent from the desire to the BT web site. I've changed mine in the past and others have too.
So, what I'd do in your situation is:
* visit the hotspot (and make sure it's a true BT Openzone hotspot rather than one provided by a BT Homehub/BTFon)
* make sure you're disconnected from the hotspot (in wifi terms)
* power cycle the device
* start up the stock browser and go through the process of changing the UAString using the method described in this thread
* switch to wifi settings and connect to BT Openzone
* switch back to the stock browser and try and go to a site of your choice (eg the bbc web site or google.co.uk)
* if things work properly, then IIRC you'll be presented with an O2 branded page and follow the prompts
Once you've got it working properly, then you can revert the UAString to the default setting: I've never been prompted again to go through the registration process.
Hope that helps.
Andy
Message 116 of 153

Anonymous
Not applicable
>Hope that helps.<
It certainly does, and thank you very much for the clear explanation. I'll try it tomorrow and report back.
Hopefully something will come of the support request to The Cloud as well.
--
John
Message 117 of 153

Anonymous
Not applicable
>Once you've got it working properly<
Still no progress, alas.
I did a factory reset last night and also did a MAC reset on the O2 web site. Went into town this morning armed with a checklist based on what's been discussed on here. Powered off. Powered on and cleared cookie data, cache, history, form data, passwords and location access.
Amended UA string, carefully double-checked it and tried to access BBC News. This brought up an Openzone landing page with blue O2 symbol, which I hadn't seen before, and I entered the number as requested.
The first page was a message to the effect that my tariff did not include Wi-Fi access. Tried several more times and received "authorisation error" messages each time. Had a cup of coffee and calmed down. Tried both access code formats (i.e. 447860 and 07860) without success.
Decided to try another Openzone hotspot. Powered off. Powered on and cleared cookie data, cache, history, form data, passwords and location access. Re-read checklist, double-checked UA string and tried to access BBC News. This brought up Openzone landing page with blue O2 symbol.
Entering number gave "internal system error" message. Repeat da capo sine fine.
If anyone has any further suggestions at this stage I'd love to hear them.
--
John
Message 118 of 153

Anonymous
Not applicable
> Still no progress, alas.
At least, you've managed to see a part of the maze you haven't before!
> The first page was a message to the effect that my tariff did not include Wi-Fi access.
I received a similar message when I used the iPhone UAString (you see yet another landing page if you use that!).
What tariff are you on? I'm assuming you bought the HTC Desire from O2 themselves? (If not, I've heard that O2 just wash their hands of the problem).
> If anyone has any further suggestions at this stage I'd love to hear them.
I'm afraid I've no further technical suggestions.
As, at the time, I found their email customer service left a lot to be desired, I wrote to their CEO:
Ronan Dunne, CEO, Complaint Review Service, PO Box 116 LEEDS, LS11 5DS
Someone from O2's executive relation's team then rang me back within a week.
Let us know how you get on.
--
Andy
Message 119 of 153

Anonymous
Not applicable
>At least, you've managed to see a part of the maze you haven't before!<
That's true. I thought I was getting somewhere when I saw the O2 mobile landing page at long last. Sadly 'twas not to be.
>What tariff are you on? I'm assuming you bought the HTC Desire from O2 themselves? (If not, I've heard that O2 just wash their hands of the problem).<
Yes, O2 upgraded the handset a few weeks ago. I'm on Small Business Regular User with web bolt-on. I've checked in a couple of O2 shops and with customer services that both The Cloud and BT Openzone access are included in this tariff, which they definitely are.
>As, at the time, I found their email customer service left a lot to be desired, I wrote to their CEO:<
I'm afraid it's coming to that. On the face of it, hardly anyone using a smartphone on an O2 tariff which includes wi-fi access can be receiving the service O2 is contracted to supply. That has to be a matter for Trading Standards and ordinary UK consumer law. Equally, it's a pity no-one at O2 apparently sees fit to read their own forum and intercede in what's clearly a reputational issue. So perhaps a nuclear option is called for.
Sincere thanks to those on here who have done their best to help.
--
John
Message 120 of 153