cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Desire access to the Cloud and BT Openzone

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've got the unlimited data bolt on giving me access to Cloud and BT Openzone access points but I cannot get them to work. What's the secret of getting access? Customer service can't sort it out. For example, when I'm within range of the Cloud, the Desire connects the Wifi to it OK but when I browse to a web page, I get a Cloud landing page. I press the O2 customer button which takes me to a page where I enter my mobile phone number. After a while, the page comes back saying:

Sorry you are unable to register more devices to your Wireless LAN service. If you get this message again please contact O2 Customer Service on the number on your O2 bill. If you are an O2 Mobile Broadband customer, please ensure you have entered the mobile phone number we supplied with your USB modem. You will find this on your Mobile Broadband bill.

Well, I've contacted Customer service untold number of times and they keep resetting my MAC but to no avail. I've reset my MAC myself by sending wifi to 2121 many times as well. Still I get the message about being unable to register more devices.

So has anyone managed to connect to the Cloud and browse the web successfully? And BT Openzone? If so, what's the secret?
152 REPLIES 152

Anonymous
Not applicable
having the same problem and some fiddling was done by taking off bolt on fiddling with it putting it back on allowed me access to the cloud. someone in tech team told me that in the back servers(some techie jargon like that) that the problem is that although the right bolt on has been applied it shows as invalid to the server. still waiting on a resolution with btopenzone.
Just thought i would pass it on no idea if its right or not

Anonymous
Not applicable
>having the same problem and some fiddling was done by taking off bolt on fiddling with it putting it back on allowed me access to the cloud.<
That's something anyway.
>still waiting on a resolution with btopenzone.<
I'm beginning to wonder whether this can ever have worked at all. Has anyone on here using a smartphone in conjunction with an O2 tariff supposedly giving access to The Cloud and BT Openzone actually achieved access to both without any problems?
--
John

Anonymous
Not applicable
having overcome the initial problems, yes. And the other HTC Desire I tried worked out of the box because it had the correct UAString.
I have access to both The Cloud and BT Openzone. I believe The Cloud was sorted by The Cloud rather than O2. BT Openzone worked once my phone had the UAString that BT Openzone had accredited the HTC Desire with.
As said elsewhere, it shouldn't be this hard though.
I haven't tried this year.
--
Andy

Anonymous
Not applicable
>I have access to both The Cloud and BT Openzone. I believe The Cloud was sorted by The Cloud rather than O2. BT Openzone worked once my phone had the UAString that BT Openzone had accredited the HTC Desire with.<
Which isn't valid for newer handsets embodying Froyo :robotsad: And it seems that The Cloud can't unilaterally solve certain problems connected with tariff codes. Apparently only O2 can do that.
>As said elsewhere, it shouldn't be this hard though.<
The ineluctable conclusion from all the discussions here and elsewhere is this; it is abundantly clear that a large number of smartphones out there fundamentally cannot operate in conjunction with O2's Wi-Fi partner hotspots despite any amount of MAC resetting, account re-provisioning and so on. From what's been said on this forum and other Android fora, the problem clearly goes back at least to May 2010 and has never been properly addressed by O2 at the appropriate engineering level.
It's almost as though the only way to deal with the issue would be for O2, The Cloud and BT Openzone jointly to agree on a valid UAString for the HTC Desire and variants and then find some way of retrospectively communicating it to those requiring it. Can browser UAStrings be updated OTA?
--
John

Anonymous
Not applicable
Had my Desire since summer can only log onto The Cloud.
Tried changing UAString as per this thread, no go don't even land onto the blue login page.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi. Interesting to see this thread. First time posting.
I have a HTC Desire and had the Web & Wifi Bolt-on until yesterday. After almost 2 hours on different calls to o2, trying to find out why I couldn't get access to The Cloud and BT Openzone, I was offered a refund of my £10 and an apology "if I thought I had been misled"
The explanation from the supervisor, (that the issue was eventually escalated to after a lot of toing sand froing, Technical support refusing to even take the call) was that The HTC Desire is not sold on Pay & Go therefore not supported. I have read a lot of this thread. Has anyone complained to Ofcom about the misleading nature of how access to Wifi is being soldby o2?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, just thought I would add some info.
I have a HTC Wildfire on Android 2.2 (Froyo) brought SIM Free, with the Text and Web tariff, and had failed to get onto the Cloud. As with other users spent ages on to CS with them telling me only accredited devices can connect, one of them being the iPhone. I did the about:debug in the browser went to settings and UAString and one of the options was to select iPhone, which I did. Tried connecting to the cloud again and got straight on. Will be trying with BT Openzone and also resetting back to android now I have successfully connected to the cloud to see if it will still let me on. Hope this helps someone slight_smile

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a partial resolution.
I am running an HTC Desire on O2. I simply got the "BT FON" application from Marketplace and set it up using my BT Broadband credentials (BT email address and password) - it works fine.
Been using my Desire on "The Cloud" for months - now getting the same error as everyone else. Just had the IMEI changed (as new motherboard due to repair). Have sent wifi to 2121 and will try it out in the morning

Anonymous
Not applicable
There may be light at the end of the tunnel.
Since I last posted on here I've been working with O2 and BT Openzone to try and resolve this issue. As of today I have seamless access to BT Openzone and The Cloud from my HTC Desire, and it sounds as though a large proportion of folk on here who've had difficulties should be in a similar position.
I gather that O2 themselves will be publishing something in this forum, so watch this space...

Bambino
Level 71: Golden Child
  • 17424 Posts
  • 845 Topics
  • 1684 Solutions
There may be light at the end of the tunnel.
Since I last posted on here I've been working with O2 and BT Openzone to try and resolve this issue. As of today I have seamless access to BT Openzone and The Cloud from my HTC Desire, and it sounds as though a large proportion of folk on here who've had difficulties should be in a similar position.
I gather that O2 themselves will be publishing something in this forum, so watch this space...

That would be most welcome and very good news. I hope your light at the end of the tunnel isn't just another train coming. slight_smile

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2