Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Android

Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: HTC Desire 2.3 Gingerbread update

The widget is the Friendstream widget.
If you go into the Friendstream app itself you can enter your Facebook details (and Twitter if you want to). The Friendstream app then pulls in your friend's updates, your wall, photos, etc. The Friendstream widget shows your friend's Facebook updates similar to how the official app does.
The idea behind it was to merge your social networking feeds into one. Obviously it's wasting space if you don't use it, though HTC lurve the integration of social networking (hence the Facebook and Flickr options in the gallery. If you log into Facebook via Friendstream it populates your contacts with friend's Facebook profile pics. As it's a part of Sense you can't uninstall it. It was there in the previous versions too though.
So long as you never entered your Facebook details it shouldn't do anything. Try clearing app data just to be sure nothing's going on. I don't use it and it doesn't show in my running services and consumes no memory.
Highlighted
Level 68: Extraordinaire

Thanks for the info. I cleared the data and it doesn't appear to be running.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Highlighted
Anonymous

Hi All
i have a O2 Desire with 2.2 (2.14.207.3)
will the update from http://htcdev.com/devcenter/downloads be ok to put on my phone
Read the comment about backing up the phone and formatting the memory card
Let me know
phil
Edit : i have run the check for update and there is not Smiley Sad
Highlighted

Hi All
i have a O2 Desire with 2.2 (2.14.207.3)
will the update from http://htcdev.com/devcenter/downloads be ok to put on my phone
Read the comment about backing up the phone and formatting the memory card
Let me know
phil
Edit : i have run the check for update and there is not Smiley Sad

Yes, if you read the posts directly above on this page and the previous page you will see that link is the only way to download the update. You have to download the update to your computer and install it from there via your USB cable. Checking on your phone will show nothing. There is no OTA update. Just make sure you have backed up everything you want to before you install, as it will wipe your phone clean, including any O2 branding. Depending on your broadband speed, the download takes some time, as it is 160GB. The installation only takes about 10 minutes. Best of luck. Please post back to this thread to inform anyone else who is thinking about installing this update how you got on with it.
Best of luck. Smiley Happy

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Highlighted
Anonymous

legend
i downloaded it already - its 161mb
just wanted to check before i started so i didnt break it
will play today and back it all up
tar
Phil
Highlighted
Anonymous

I loaded mine up a few weeks back. I can see now why HTC had problems fitting it all in - I now have fewer apps on my phone than before the upgrade in order to stop it bleating at me about low memory. May have to bite the bullet & go for an "S".
Highlighted
Anonymous

with 2.2 i have 29mb left on the phone's space
most of my apps are on the SD card - some are not tho
Highlighted
Anonymous

another question - how are people backing up their phone?
tar
Phil
Highlighted

another question - how are people backing up their phone?
tar
Phil

I have my phone contacts backed up on my SD card and also in my Gmail account. I also use two free apps from the market, APP BACKUP & RESTORE, and SMS BACKUP & RESTORE. Both apps worked a treat after installing the new update. Didn't lose a thing.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Highlighted
Anonymous

I loaded mine up a few weeks back. I can see now why HTC had problems fitting it all in - I now have fewer apps on my phone than before the upgrade in order to stop it bleating at me about low memory. May have to bite the bullet & go for an "S".

I did the same. Though was happy with my Desire, it had a meeting with the floor. The S is sweet. Mind you I'm a little miffed as a few weeks later (last wknd) O2 did one of their flash sales on the Sensation where I could have got it for free on the same tariff as my S. Oh well, the S is plenty good enough and I'll just keep telling myself the Sensation is too big!