Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Android

Highlighted
Topics: 48
Kudos: 591
Solutions: 48

Re: HTC Desire 2.3 Gingerbread update

I can tell you that one of my friends who has a o2 desire did the update with in the first hour of the software being released.
Findings are.
Phone is faster and smoother
better batter
No o2 logo at startup, phone is still locked though to o2.
No issues at all. Infact no crashes or anything.
Update took a total of 7 Mins from the Laptop. It wiped everything clean and I also suggest you back up data on a laptop / pc and then format the card in the phone after the update and transfer everything back. My own views as it seems to cause less issues when the card is formatted to what the new software wants.
Hope this helps
Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Highlighted
Anonymous

Definitely better battery life. Been off charge since 7am and still over 50% at 11pm.
Highlighted
Level 68: Extraordinaire

I can tell you that one of my friends who has a o2 desire did the update with in the first hour of the software being released.
Findings are.
Phone is faster and smoother
better batter
No o2 logo at startup, phone is still locked though to o2.
No issues at all. Infact no crashes or anything.
Update took a total of 7 Mins from the Laptop. It wiped everything clean and I also suggest you back up data on a laptop / pc and then format the card in the phone after the update and transfer everything back. My own views as it seems to cause less issues when the card is formatted to what the new software wants.
Hope this helps

Haven't done the update yet, but am getting close to it. Just need to be sure everything is backed up.
My Desire has never been locked to O2. What on yours is locked?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Highlighted
Topics: 48
Kudos: 591
Solutions: 48

The phone is locked to the o2 network and when you switched the phone on it came up with the o2 logo.
I can tell you know that even though the phone is still locked to o2, the logo at start up is the normal generic htc image. All so the phone is very generic with nothing that o2 didnt want on. Its now how htc wanted it to be Smiley Very Happy
Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Highlighted

The phone is locked to the o2 network and when you switched the phone on it came up with the o2 logo.
I can tell you know that even though the phone is still locked to o2, the logo at start up is the normal generic htc image. All so the phone is very generic with nothing that o2 didnt want on. Its now how htc wanted it to be Smiley Very Happy

I bought my Desire from O2 and even though I get the O2 logo when the phone boots, I can tell you that the phone is not locked to the O2 network. When I first got the phone I tried a friend's Orange sim in the phone and connected to the Orange network. I use a US T-Mobile PAYG sim in the phone when I travel to the US. The phone is not locked to O2. In fact the only thing I can see that is associated with O2 is the logo. Maybe there are other things under the hood, but they're not visible to me.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Highlighted

I took the plunge and did the update, which seemed to go smoothly enough, except for one problem. I was able to import my phone contacts from my SD card, but when I tried to find the apps I saved to the card they seem to have disappeared, even though it says I have 1.66GB used on the card, which I know are the apps. Anyone have any idea how I restore what is on my SD card?
EDIT: Panic over. Had downloaded an app called App Backup and Restore. Downloaded it again and it found what was on my SD card. Had also downlaoded another app called SMS Backup and Restore and that worked too! All my apps, messages, and music are back and the phone seems to be working well. Strange thing was that the warning that came with installing the update said that Facebook would be removed, but it was there when the phone rebooted first time. I don't actually use Facebook on my phone, so I would have been happy to lose it.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Highlighted
Anonymous

Glad it went well. No idea how/why Facebook is on there. Can you uninstall it?
Highlighted

Glad it went well. No idea how/why Facebook is on there. Can you uninstall it?

Considering that the warning from HTC said that the Facebook app wouldn't be included in the update, I'm puzzled as well. The app is listed as 'Facebook For HTC Sense', and the app is in my list of apps but there is no widget, which is even stranger. No uninstall button on the app either, so it looks like it's there permanently, which is annoying as it always runs in the background and the only way to stop it is to use the Force Stop button.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Highlighted
Anonymous

Ah that explains it. Previously HTC had two Facebook apps. Facebook For Sense is their own app that's part of Friendstream. They also used to include Facebook For Android which is the official Facebook app that you can get from the market for any Android handset. They removed the latter for the 2.3 update.
Highlighted

Well there's no widget for it so I can't enable it even if I wanted to. All it seems to be doing is wasting space. No uninstall apps can remove it either, as it's considered factory installed. Very annoying.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2