Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Android

Highlighted
Level 68: Extraordinaire

Re: HTC Desire 2.3 Gingerbread update

I don't play games on my phone. Didn't you say it wipes out all your apps? I know that I can get them all back, but it's time consuming.
If I did decide to update, am I meant to download the update directly onto my phone from the link you posted, or am I supposed to download onto my computer and install from there?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Highlighted
Anonymous

I don't play games on my phone. Didn't you say it wipes out all your apps? I know that I can get them all back, but it's time consuming.
If I did decide to update, am I meant to download the update directly onto my phone from the link you posted, or am I supposed to download onto my computer and install from there?

Yes you have to reinstall apps, if you use Appbrain and sync it will save a list of them to reinstall.
The upside is the When you reinstall the Apps they take up less space on the phone, as more of the data can be moved to SD Card.
You have to Download it to the PC, Unzip it and then run it with your Phone attatched, took about 5 mins after starting.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Did mine last night. Running sweetly. Only downside is it's non-rootable at the mo.
Highlighted

Well I've downloaded the file, but I haven't attempted to install it as yet. I think I might wait to see what other feedback comes through this thread, and to find out if anyone has difficulties with the update or winds up bricking their phone. That is something I really don't want to do, and unfortunately it has happened to others doing other updates. If anyone does decide to do the update, please post your results in this thread. It would be helpful for everyone.
And if anyone is interested, below is the warning that comes along with agreeing to the license for the download:

This update is only recommended for expert users who want to experience Android 2.3 and understand the limitations which apply to this update. Due to memory constraints several applications have been removed from this update and we are only offering the ROM upgrade utility (RUU) for you to download. Please note that flashing this ROM will erase your previous customizations, including any messages, emails, contacts, and other personal information. We suggest you take advantage of your Google account and other backup solutions available on the Android Market to ensure you do not lose your personal data. Your SD card will not be erased or modified.
The major changes in this update include:
All customizations, including operator applications, will be removed.
All wallpapers, except the default wallpaper, will be removed and placed online on the HTC Developer website.
Several HTC applications will be removed and placed online on the HTC Developer website.
The official Facebook application will be removed and is downloadable on the Android Market.
Note:This ROM update is for development only and not for general public use.Upgrades to non-authorized phones may result in loss of functionality.In addition certain functions may no longer be usable after re-flashing the ROM if you are using an excluded variant (listed below), including but not limited to MMS and SMS and HTC also disclaims liability for any unusable functions.HTC disclaims liability for the loss and/or leakage of any personal data resulting from the re-flashing of the ROM.
Exclusions:The following regional variants are not-compatible with this upgrade: Germany (Deutsch Telekom), North America, South America, South Korea, and Japan.
Is this the official update for HTC Desire to Gingerbread?
Yes, this is the official update for HTC Desire to Gingerbread.
Will this release remove the ability to send SMS / MMS like in the disclaimer?
Only certain regions, specifically the ones listed below, will have some functionality removed. For the majority of regions, there is no impact to your SMS / MMS functionality.
Why is this only for developers?
Due to the complicated nature of the update we suggest only expert users proceed. We have provided the update in as user friendly way as possible and also included the instructions in the download file but we were unable to provide the update by our usual over the air method.
When can I download the upgrade for my phone?
You can still access the download at http://developer.htc.com for the upgrade for your phone, unless you are in the regions listed below.
Will HTC issue an over the air (FOTA) for HTC Desire update to Gingerbread?
No, this downloadable RUU is the official update to your phone. The update required that we conserve space by removing customizations and wallpapers, we had to release the update as a downloadable update.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Highlighted
Anonymous

I think most of the issues with other updates stem from the fact that the OTA's were essentially patches, adding in bits and leaving other bits. The RUU is full wipe and a full clean install. It's the utility HTC use to reflash the phones.
My experience was fine. I've run RUUs to debrand my handset on Froyo, rooted my handset, installed custom roms, and put it back to factory using an RUU, so wasn't fazed by this update's procedure. And I'm hardly a tech genius!
The result is a handset that has performance improvements and better battery life (to be expected). Looks v similar to how it was, lots of little bits improved on. You lose the flashlight but they give you the app in the zip you download, same with wallpapers. Standalone Facebook isn't included but is available on the market. Everything works and no functionality has been lost that I see. All settings were picked up automatically.
I think they over-egg'd the warning. Yes it's different to what most users are used to so it needs a warning. Plus you lose everything, so back up anything you want to keep, sync with Google, etc etc.
One thing is that at the moment it's unrootable. But I think that most people who want to root will have rooted by now and those that have rooted would either not be fazed by this update, or won't care about it as they are on a custom rom. I did it as i had rooted and run quite a few roms and kept coming back to htc's firmware. So I don't feel like I'm missing out on not being able to root at the moment.
EDIT - if you or anyone else decides to press go, you need the drivers first. Easiest way is to d/l HTC Sync from the HTC website and install it as it installs the drivers at the same time. You can then uninstall it straight away if you don't want it - but leave the drivers obviously!
Highlighted
Anonymous

I think the over cooked warning will mean you won't get many responses in the thread!
As casual users won't bother. But its very unlikely that an RUU would brick your phone unless you had done something to it. If you send your phone to O2 they flash it with an RUU regardless of what you sent it in for. Just a way of clean installing an update.
Plus like I said with the Full O2 settings being there its probably the first correct update for the phone!
Highlighted
Anonymous

I've just installed the update on my O2 branded Desire and, touch-wood, it seems to have all gone smoothly. It picked up the correct network settings straight off the SIM as well.
One useful side-effect is that it'll finally get rid of those two e-mails that were sitting in my phone's inbox, which refused to delete! Smiley Happy
Highlighted

I think most of the issues with other updates stem from the fact that the OTA's were essentially patches, adding in bits and leaving other bits. The RUU is full wipe and a full clean install. It's the utility HTC use to reflash the phones.
My experience was fine. I've run RUUs to debrand my handset on Froyo, rooted my handset, installed custom roms, and put it back to factory using an RUU, so wasn't fazed by this update's procedure. And I'm hardly a tech genius!
The result is a handset that has performance improvements and better battery life (to be expected). Looks v similar to how it was, lots of little bits improved on. You lose the flashlight but they give you the app in the zip you download, same with wallpapers. Standalone Facebook isn't included but is available on the market. Everything works and no functionality has been lost that I see. All settings were picked up automatically.
I think they over-egg'd the warning. Yes it's different to what most users are used to so it needs a warning. Plus you lose everything, so back up anything you want to keep, sync with Google, etc etc.
One thing is that at the moment it's unrootable. But I think that most people who want to root will have rooted by now and those that have rooted would either not be fazed by this update, or won't care about it as they are on a custom rom. I did it as i had rooted and run quite a few roms and kept coming back to htc's firmware. So I don't feel like I'm missing out on not being able to root at the moment.
EDIT - if you or anyone else decides to press go, you need the drivers first. Easiest way is to d/l HTC Sync from the HTC website and install it as it installs the drivers at the same time. You can then uninstall it straight away if you don't want it - but leave the drivers obviously!

Thanks for the very detailed reply. Unfortunately I'm not as tech savvy as you, so I still feel a bit skittish about installing it. I'm also a bit confused about what you wrote about the drivers. If the download is a full wipe and clean install, won't it also wipe the HTC Sync?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Highlighted
Anonymous

Sorry I wasn't very clear there. HTC Sync and the drivers are installed on your computer.
Sync isn't required for the update (it is just a programme to sync your handset contacts, photos, etc etc, I don't use it as I just sync using my google account and any pictures etc I just copy between my phone and computer using windows), but when you install it it also installs the drivers that are needed for the computer to fully recognise the phone. Installing HTC Sync is just the easiest way to get the drivers.
If you don't want Sync you can uninstall it immediately through windows control panel, it will then leave behind the drivers (HTC Sync and the drivers are visible as seperate programmes in your windows control panel).
EDITED - just read an article on Eurodroid where they ran the RUU on an O2 branded 2.2 handset. No issue reported and no mention of needing a goldcard.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Reading the PDF that comes with the RUU, there is no mention of needing a goldcard, so I would assume not needed. I haven't tried the RUU as yet - that will have to wait until I have a few hours spare for re-configuring the apps and fiddling with the new features.
Regards,
Tony