Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Android

Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: HTC Desire 2.3 Gingerbread update

They have just announced they are going to update it after all.
They also refered to yesterday's announcement, U-Turn anything to do with the SE X10 showing off videos of it running 2.3....

...or possibly the myriad Android hackers that have done it on their Desires already...?
Highlighted
Anonymous

They have just announced they are going to update it after all.
They also refered to yesterday's announcement, U-Turn anything to do with the SE X10 showing off videos of it running 2.3....

...or possibly the myriad Android hackers that have done it on their Desires already...?

It was always near possible, in fact when an early build got leaked it actually helped the Mods, cos they took bits from it to make the modded ones better lol.
They tried to pull a fast one.
Highlighted
Level 68: Extraordinaire

Some good news for once, if it can be believed. It seemed like such a blatantly obvious ploy on HTC's part to get people to upgrade their phones, which I wasn't prepared to do anyway, having only had my Desire for just over a year.
I still won't be rushing to update to 2.3 if and when they ever get around to releasing it. Every time an update has been released through O2 it has bricked some phones in one way or another. I can't see it being any different for this release, so I will wait for braver souls to try it before I do.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Highlighted
Anonymous

Some good news for once, if it can be believed. It seemed like such a blatantly obvious ploy on HTC's part to get people to upgrade their phones, which I wasn't prepared to do anyway, having only had my Desire for just over a year.
I still won't be rushing to update to 2.3 if and when they ever get around to releasing it. Every time an update has been released through O2 it has bricked some phones in one way or another. I can't see it being any different for this release, so I will wait for braver souls to try it before I do.

When the stock RUU for 2.3 becomes available (which will probably be way before O2 get their act together) why not take it as an opportunity to upgrade and de-brand at the same time Smiley Happy
Highlighted

When the stock RUU for 2.3 becomes available (which will probably be way before O2 get their act together) why not take it as an opportunity to upgrade and de-brand at the same time Smiley Happy

Basically because I'm not that tech savvy, and I'm not overly bothered by the branded phone. It's only the O2 splash screen, which really is no big deal. I don't see anything else on the phone that O2 have tinkered with. De-branding seems an awful lot of hassle for very little reward. I do agree that it will take much longer for O2 to release the update, but I will wait. Going by the speed that O2 have released previous updates I expect I will be waiting some time. Smiley Happy

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Highlighted
Anonymous

As space is a concern I doubt the O2 update will be filled will hidden German stuff we can't even use, might be quicker than the last.
And as far as updates bricking phones, they were dud phones, nothing to do with O2, just updating itself, Unbranded phones got bricked too.
The Desire keeps winning awards, maybe they realised as its an award winning phone having it upto date will still make them more money.
Highlighted

As space is a concern I doubt the O2 update will be filled will hidden German stuff we can't even use, might be quicker than the last.
And as far as updates bricking phones, they were dud phones, nothing to do with O2, just updating itself, Unbranded phones got bricked too.
The Desire keeps winning awards, maybe they realised as its an award winning phone having it upto date will still make them more money.

As far as I knew, none of the previous updates ever had German stuff included.
I think the two main reasons for the U-turn were the fact that a lot of XDA developers were already running 2.3 on Desires and the HTC Facebook page was inundated with complaints.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Highlighted
Anonymous

As far as I knew, none of the previous updates ever had German stuff included.
I think the two main reasons for the U-turn were the fact that a lot of XDA developers were already running 2.3 on Desires and the HTC Facebook page was inundated with complaints.

It definitely had German stuff on it you could find it on search, but couldn't use it, so it was just wasted space, it was if the UK one was a stripped down German one, which adds up as it was a German engineer that released the first O2UK RUU before the OTA happened. IF they don't have to do all that faffing around it should all be quicker either way.
I think XDA is moreof a reason that they couldn't just forget about it, or Lie about it not being possible, as even though it wasn't common Knowledge, it was out there, they would've looked like greedy liars.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Defo had some German stuff. If you install a replacement launcher a seperate nav app appears in the app drawer but you can't use it. It's hidden in Sense, but still on the phone.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Defo had some German stuff. If you install a replacement launcher a seperate nav app appears in the app drawer but you can't use it. It's hidden in Sense, but still on the phone.

So it is non-Sense, as it were Smiley Wink