Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Android

Highlighted
Anonymous

HTC Desire 2.3 Gingerbread update

Hi all,
Does anyone know any info on O2's progress for releasing the Android 2.3 update for the HTC Desire?
Thanks.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: HTC Desire 2.3 Gingerbread update

Well the Official Gingerbread Update for the HTC Desire (unbranded) is scheduled to be released before the End of June.
My guess is the O2 Branded Version will follow a 4-6weeks thereafter.
Which is a bit frustrating as iOS5 will land for the iPhone 4 probably the day it has been released :robotindifferent:
Highlighted
Anonymous

Will 2.3 bring many worthwhile benefits? Sometimes it's best to stay as you are than update...
:mansurprised:
Highlighted
Anonymous

Will 2.3 bring many worthwhile benefits? Sometimes it's best to stay as you are than update...

The 2.2 upgrade was well worthwhile; noticeable improvement in battery life on my Desire. Apparently 2.3 improves battery performance further.
Highlighted
Anonymous

The 2.2 upgrade was well worthwhile; noticeable improvement in battery life on my Desire. Apparently 2.3 improves battery performance further.

Thanks Tony. I hope it does.
Meanwhile, do we have any releases by O2 or HTC which outlines the exact benefits? It's all a bit of a pipe dream at the mo, and I for one won't update unless there's a real benefit to doing it.
It's running very smoothly now!! Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Anonymous

[ Edited ]
I am running Android 2.3.3 on my Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc and its working very well. I would definitely recommend upgrading when you get the chance because not only is Android 2.3 faster but its also more secure and has numerous bug fixes. You should definitely keep your device up to date!
Look here:
http://www.differencebetween.com/differ ... ngerbread/
Highlighted
Anonymous

I'd guess around August.
I think the bigger problem facing a lot of Desire users is the HTC sensation won't be new and flashy, or on its way out when the contracts of the first wave of Desire users run out, so we will be waiting for a new HTC phone completely, not just an Update, our next phone does not exist.
Highlighted
Anonymous

I'd guess around August.
I think the bigger problem facing a lot of Desire users is the HTC sensation won't be new and flashy, or on its way out when the contracts of the first wave of Desire users run out, so we will be waiting for a new HTC phone completely, not just an Update, our next phone does not exist.

Absolutely. I have exactly that problem too - HTC better come up with their next blockbuster phone around June 2012 to keep me happy.
My 24-mont business contract allows me to upgrade after 12 months, so I was salivating over the thought of upgrading to a Sensation until I discovered that the early upgrade comes at a price - the thick end of 300 squids. The alternative of taking £200 cashback for NOT doing the 12-month upgrade sounded a lot better, especially as my Desire is still doing just fine.
Interestingly, O2 are doing away with the 12-month upgrade option on renewed contracts, apparently it was getting too expensive for them...
Highlighted
Anonymous

[ Edited ]
I'd guess around August.

I'm afraid there is a bigger issue facing Desire owners - I have just seen a post on TecRadar that HTC cannot provide 2.3 for the Desire:
http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and ... ire-965805
Bummer.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Bummer indeed. Ways and means though if you are willing to root and flash a custom ROM. I have vanilla android 2.3 on mine and it runs sweetly. There are also custom ROMs that have Sense integrated so not sure how essentially amateur devs can do it but HTC themselves can't. But then amateur devs have an interest in keeping the phone up to date and the manufacturer has other interests........